1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy at the LGS told that the quality of Colts has really gone down, and I'd be better off getting a Springfield or Kimber.So how is the quality of the guns Colt is makiing for the civilian market now. How does Colt's quality compare to other brands? BTW, the Colt I am thinking of getting is the 1911 WWI replica, and I would think the quality of it would be great.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Get the Colt. Quality's back on most of their 1911s (with an occasional lemon). The WWI I had here was very nicely done. The Series 70 I borrowed & ended up keeping is also well done.
Denis

·
Registered
997 Posts
Denis is correct to a degree I think . The quality control at Colt seems to vary. The WWI repro and the Series 70 guns (both near $1000) seem to be better , maybe the Gunsite models are too , but friends who went to S.H.O.T. said the cosmetics were abysmal. These are professional gunsmiths we all know of who love Colts and build on them daily .

IMHO, you need someone very knowledgeable to QC the gun you plan to buy . Sadly , this eliminates internet purchases unless you plan to return a few guns.

I did get lucky and get a very nice Series 70 from a stranger on the net . YMMV. Good luck...Tom

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
May i suggest you search all 3 makers forums....Colt, SA, and Kimber. I think you will see the most satisfied posters on the Colt forum, followed by SA, and bringing up the rear would be Kimber. I suggest you will find Colt 1911s to be as good of quality as any top shelf manufacturer. I hope you get a WW1 repro...they are just fantastic!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,222 Posts
Most gun stores have display cases full of Kimbers and Springfields, so what else would they suggest you buy?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I purchased a New Roll Mark Series 80 stainless Government Model on Thursday, the fit and finish was excellent, I shot it on Friday, at 25 yards it grouped about 1.5 inches with match hardball ammo from Federal. With Winchester 230 gr. Hollow point it varied from 2-3 inches at 25 yards, at 10 to 15 yards all dead center. The pistol is much more accurate than me, and for $675 I feel like I got a Bargain, So I would Highly recommend getting a Colt!!!!!!:rock: :rock:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have to echo was the earlier poster said. I check the Colt/Kimber/Springfield forums and appears to me that the Colt buyers are the most satisfied. In my search for a new full size 1911 for duty wear I have about decided on a Colt Gunsite Pistol, but they are not that easy to find. Also, take what you hear from gunshop employees with a grain of salt.

·
Administrator
73,480 Posts
A guy at the LGS told that the quality of Colts has really gone down, and I'd be better off getting a Springfield or Kimber.
This is the same drivel I hear all the time at gun shows and gun stores. Colts of today are MUCH better than during the 1970's through 1990's on average. Only the Colts made in the 1960's and prior were clearly superior to today's production, but to be honest it seems nobody builds them like that anymore. The primary issue with new Colts is the high chance you will end up with one displaying some annoying cosmetic flaw, like something being machined off-spec or a foul-up in the final finishing/assembly. The best thing about new Colts is what they don't have, such as a large amount of MIM parts or proprietary components.

If you are able to visually inspect any new Colt before you buy it you'll be well-served. When at their best the current batch of Colts are awesome. At their worst, well, Colt's service department does have a high satisfaction rate. ;)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Even here in Kali with our Colt drought, the ones I've had a chance to examine in person have all been very good quality. So, take everything with a grain of salt until you've had a chance to see for yourself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a couple of new model colts. I have an XSE commander that is a great shhoter and a XSE full size. It also is a great shooter. Both are very accurate and have given me 0 failures after about 2000 rounds each.
I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The primary issue with new Colts is the high chance you will end up with one displaying some annoying cosmetic flaw,
And I will take a 1911 with cosmetic flaw that is 100% reliable, over the purty ones , loaded with MIM, that have numerous reliability issues.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
My experience is that the new Colts are generally very fine firearms... and buyers of them tend to be very happy (though as with any maker, there is the occasional sample which would benefit from a trip back to the manufacturer.) Generally speaking, I would rate Colts a fair bit above Springfield, and both well above Kimber as far as reliability and owner satisfaction goes. Kimber is into the glitz and glam market these days (has been for a few years)... trying to woo buyers with an avalanche of spiffy looking models, a lot of doo dads, and fancy marketing tactics. But their owner satisfaction and customer service have spiraled downward for the last few years... what with the series II, external extractor, and stem-to-stern MIM garbage they foist on the consumer... I wouldn't buy a new Kimber today no matter how "spiffy" they try to make the guns appear. They do make a nice frame/slide set-up... I'll give them that. Beyond that? Cheap window dressing, in my not so humble opinion.

As mentioned earlier, most gun shops have a flood of new Kimbers sitting on their shelves, and most likely a lot of new Springfields too... is it any wonder that they don't want to be bothered trying to get a Colt for you? They want to sell you what they have sitting in stock and don't mind bulls#!++ing you into thinking that Colts are not desireable. I have a typically low opinion of a great many gun sellers in this regard! :grumble:

·
Registered
306 Posts
All Great

I have bought a few new Colts over the last 2 years or so. The first was a NRM 1991 Government model. It idsplaced the S&W SW1911 I was using in USPSA competition. Although the SW1911 had been 100% reliable from day one, the Colt outshot it by nearly a 50% margin. Since then, I was inspired and released all my non-Colt 1911s and replaced them with Colts. I have my eye on a WWI Replica too, but a Defender will probably be my next addition. I've been looking for a compact 45 to carry occassionally.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Defender, WWI repro, and most recently a gunsite...all excellent fit finish and function. bought a Kimber tactical pro last year and already sold it, not that it was bad just didn't like the series 2 and external extractor.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Love Colt

Allways have to have a real Colt 1911 or two around. Bought a new stainless Govt model last year, took it out of the box and it shot great right out of the box. Ate anything (my reloads too!). Also, POI wa POA. How nice. I'm not at all expecting this (lots of Kimbers in my arsenal lately).:p Very pleased and proud of Colt for providing me a nice new one.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
1. IF you can look at it first, get a Colt.

2. I only have one Springfield, the "PRO" model, and it's pretty nice. I'd buy another one.

3. I've never owned a Kimber, nor have I ever been tempted to. Probably best that I stop there on that topic so as not to offend anyone.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
pyunker45 said:
May i suggest you search all 3 makers forums....Colt, SA, and Kimber. I think you will see the most satisfied posters on the Colt forum, followed by SA, and bringing up the rear would be Kimber. I suggest you will find Colt 1911s to be as good of quality as any top shelf manufacturer. I hope you get a WW1 repro...they are just fantastic!
+1 to what pyunker 45 say's. I own 35+ Colt's and all of them have been great.....:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys, thanks for the input. That day, the guy also told me that if I bought a Colt I would be just paying extra for a name. Well I guess that's just what I am going to do, because I have absolutely HAVE to have a Colt,and I just can't resist the WWI replica.It is such a beautiful gun, it looks like a piece of art to me.I already have one 1911 a Springfield GI and I think it's a great gun, but I have got to get more 1911s and at least one just HAS to be a Colt.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
larry... WOW, I thought I was bad with a lot of Colts, nice to see others are worse than me! :biglaugh:

Smokey... I predict that after the first Colt, you're going to want more than one. Then you'll see what it's all about. Hey, others have sold off ever other brand 1911 they've owned once the started getting Colts! They're addicting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts