1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How whould you all rank a new stock colt 1991 against a kimber or springfield.I can get one for $500. thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Their QC is looking up these days, I haven't had a problem after 500 rds. with my new gold cup trophy that I got last sunday, at that price I would surely look into it.

Plus, its a colt, not a copy.

------------------
Have you Nuked a Hampster Today??
www.joecartoon.com

45 super, 1689 fps, any questions?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Off course I am a little bias, and Kimber and the others make a good gun...but guess what...there not Colts.............

Mark

·
Registered
75 Posts
get the colt.very dependible out of the box.and if you just put in a valdykie trigger you have a very acurate nice inexpensive 1911.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The new Colts take a backseat to no one. You don't like the Colt sights, I don't like the Kimber sight. Don't like the Colt plastic trigger? I don't like the SA sharp edges. We all have our opinions on the bells and whistles, but for a basic stock 45, the 1991A1 is by far the best thing going right now.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Colt baby Colt.

Have you nuked a viper45 today?

Would I open fire on viper45 with his imaginary 45super performance?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought my first-ever Colt and first-ever 1911-type (it's a 1991A1) last November and I couldn't be more thrilled! Praise the Lord for my new pistola!

I say get the Colt over the Springfield. To me, a Colt 1911 is an American tradition; a classic. Like a '57 Chevy, Coca-Cola, or the New York Yankees. Colt is what it's all about.

Besides, Colts are made in the good ol' US of A, by American citizens. I don't about you, but I prefer to pay the wages of fellow American citizens whenever and wherever possibly can.

Springfield's are made in Brazil.

------------------
I wonder why we waste our lives here,
when we could run away to paradise.

But I am caught in some invisible vice
and I can't get away.

To live and die in L.A.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have 4 Guvm't sized 1911 pistols and one officers.
The ones I carry the most and trust the most are my Colt's.
The newest XSE Colt's and XS officers Colt have been 100% eliable out of the box.
I changed nothing on the XS except for adding night sites and my XSE has been redone to look like an XS series.

I have Custom guns that are more accurate but the Colt's have been reliable with any ammo and are the ones I trust my life to.

------------------
Style, Fit & Function you get it all with an M/D Holster
www.customholsters.com
[email protected]

Remember,, Cow aint just aint for food!!
100% satisfaction or I buy it back!

"Holsters" the only real cure for mad cow disease!!!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I dont see much of a choice here, get the Colt and dont look back. I have tried the rest and for me the Colt is the way to go.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Colt might make a decent out of the box pistol (with a plastic trigger) but I am taking a wait and see attitude.

Now Springfield Armory is a proven quantity. I have been buying Springfield armory pistols for 10 years with excellent results.

Also Springfield's do not have that politically correct trigger wrecking firing pin block. If you don't think a 1911 is better without that take a look at the high end pistols. None of them have it. Not Baer, Kimber, Wilson, Brown, etc; Not a single one have that politically correct firing pin block.

When you buy a Colt today, you are not buying it from a company that has been in business for over a hundred years and that is as American as apple pie. You are dealing with a company who purchased the rights to the name "Colt" and are owned and operated by an Iraqi named Sliwa. Yes, part of your dollars go to support American workers and part goes to support those gun grabbing, anti-gun senators like Chuck Shumer to whom Colt has donated money recently. As far as the workers go, I can only hope that they are not those same arrogant, independent, dope offs who thought they could pawn off on us the POS that they shipped in the late 80s and on through 90s, even if they are doing better now after 10+ years of bad behavior.

If you can locate a pre-80 series, buy it. Otherwise I would go with the Springfield....After all, today's Colt is just a copy.

PigPen

[This message has been edited by PigPen (edited 02-11-2001).]

·
Registered
347 Posts
So buy a copy made in Brazil by Third-World illiterates?

If Colt's firing pin block is "politically correct," where does that leave SA's new integral lock?

Just wondering...

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Get the Colt.Why buy the copy when you can have the real thing.

------------------
Have fun & Shoot Strait

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The reason the other companies you mentioned do not have the firing pin block safety is because Colt has a patent on it. Except Para Ordanance who liscenses it from Colt, no one else CAN use it because of copyright laws. I think it would be wise to know the facts before you start bashin' Colt.

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have to say that my XSE Combat Commander is on par with my Kimber Royal Carry if not better....looks better too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by M1991A1:
The reason the other companies you mentioned do not have the firing pin block safety is because Colt has a patent on it. Except Para Ordanance who liscenses it from Colt, no one else CAN use it because of copyright laws. I think it would be wise to know the facts before you start bashin' Colt.

I believe I know the facts. The firing pin block is undesirable to 90% (admitted an estimate) of 1911 owners. It is not absent from those mentioned due to a patent. They would have something like it if they had any desire. To imply that a Billy Wilson 1911 is inferior to a Colt, doesn't pass the straight face test. It is you my friend who should get the facts. Those of us who inquire around already know that the majority of shooters regard the firing pin block as a negative....but I guess it is politically correct.

Just think how your argument sounds man! Every one who has been around 1911s for a year or more and some who have not, know that!

As for bashing, I am not. I am a born traditionalist. I wish Sam's desendants still owned and operated Colt but they do not. I try to face the truth head on. I suggest you do likewise.

I still say, Today's Colt is just a copy too.

PigPen

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
PigPen, I didn't mean to get you riled up man. Your post just came across that way. I agree with you about the firing pin safety, I don't like it either. But I was talkin' about Colts so thats why I was talkin' about it. Its just that most people that don't know much about guns, thats obviously not you and me, won't know what the heck a Kimber .45 or Springfield .45 is, but will probably have heard of a Colt .45. Thats why I like the Colts better just because of the name and history. Their quality is gettin' better as of late. But I also know about the politics of the company, past and present. I'm not lookin' to make enemies, just friends here, so lets cool off. OK?

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Is that a new 1991 for $500.00.Great price the cheapest one I have seen is $549.00.

------------------
Have fun & Shoot Strait

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ok with me M1991A1. You want to know the truth. It is precisely because I like Colt also that I do not want to see them produce inferior products. Think about it for a minute. If a company that you didn't give a flip about made shoddy products, you wouldn't give it a second thought. I get a little miffed when I feel I can no longer be pround of a Colt .45. I didn't leave them, I feel that they left me. I certainly hope you are right about them returning to the quality product that we came to expect. I'm waiting to see. No one would be happier to see that than me.

What part of Ashland KY are you from. I spent a winter in Ashland once and spent many winters in Lexington, KY. Probably before you were born.

PigPen111

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Johnny Fever:
So buy a copy made in Brazil by Third-World illiterates?

If Colt's firing pin block is "politically correct," where does that leave SA's new integral lock?
You know Doc, I really haven't seen that lock. I hear it's in the main spring housing. That it is politically correct is without a doubt true but at least (to my knowledge) it doesn't affect shootability and you can decide whether you want to use it or not on an individual basis. You can even remove it by replacing the main spring housing if you choose. The fireing pin block does affect shootability and is more difficult to "remove". I have to actually see one to confirn my suspicions.

I was actually referring to SA reliability and accuracy in recent history.

PigPen

1 - 20 of 30 Posts