1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've got a good digital camera and understand how to post photos, can you guys give me some pointers about taking quality closeups of our pistols? Flash/no flash, outdoors/indoors, backgrounds, angles, etc...
Thanks!
Tracy

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
This thread is for tips on taking gunpics as AZ ask.

NOT for "How do I post a pic here?"-see the first thread on the subforum for that.

Thanks,
Art

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I won't go into a lot of detail here other than to say closer is better, whether having the camera placed closer, or using the lens zoom feature. For lighting, with flash especially, it is important to move the flash off the camera and light the firearm from an angle if possible to avoid hot spots - especially with stainless guns. If you can't remove the flash, try to diffuse it with something to cut down on its harshness, or bounce it off the ceiling or a foam board instead.

edited to add - also, use a tripod rather than hand holding the camera. Looking foward to seeing some of your pictures.

G

·
Make a cheap light box. It'll make all the difference in the world. You can find how to make them by a simple internet search.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Ken Lunde does some incredible photography with his own homemade studio, and on his pistol wallpaper webpage HERE, near the bottom, he lists tips and techniques he uses to capture that perfect photo.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
If your camera has a Macro (close-up) setting...you'll be able to take good close up pictures.

It helps to have a tripod...preferably a very small one. The one that I use for close ups is only 5" long when the legs are collapsed. Also, what I find helpful is to use the self timer function while on the tripod without any direct flash, just available light. Also, use the zoom to your advantage.

Also, play around with different backgrounds to see what gives you the best contrast. For example, stay away from dark or black backgrounds with a black pistol.

As I'm sure you know, one of the neat advantages of digital cameras is the ability to take as many pictures as you want until you're satisfied you have what you need.

So, just like anything else, practice, practice, and practice until you're comfortable with the results you're getting.

Good Luck! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts