1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some further training both in 1911 care/troubleshooting and actual shooting, as much to learn what to practice on my own as anything. I live in southwest La, so something in the four state area would be nice. I would appreciate recommendations and contact info, if possible.

Thanks all, and Have a Merry Christmas.

HK

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Jerry Kuhnhausen 1911 books Vol 1 and 2 . Great info. Will be a good foundation when you get to your professional instruction .

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Go to the Clark Range outside Bossier City LA and shoot with Jerry Miculek.
Otherwise I say shoot USPSA with any GMs or IDPA with any Masters in the area.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I like this guy in the Dallas and Georgetown Texas areas. http://www.decisivestrategia.com/

I plan on taking his PDPIII in Feb. Good instructor, and is knowledgeable on the 1911 platform.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I guess I should've asked...
Are you looking to improve and have a skill to use at shooting functions where you can earn a classification OR a piece of paper for the wall that says you're trained?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerry Kuhnhausen 1911 books Vol 1 and 2 . Great info. Will be a good foundation when you get to your professional instruction .
Thank you sir. I have Vol 1, as well as Dean Caputo's DVD. I have a good working knowledge of the 1911 function, but I still have many, many questions to ask. For example, I've read posts and watched videos on extractor tuning, but still could use more explanation. Same goes for how a particularly shaped firing pin stop can prevent misfeeds when shooting hot rounds.

Science has proven the individual brain is more attuned to either visual or oral stimuli. I most definitely fall into the former category. Tell me and I'll probably forget. Show me and I'll never forget. That's why I would like to sit down with someone in the know and soak up that knowledge.

Have a good one!!!!

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I should've asked...
Are you looking to improve and have a skill to use at shooting functions where you can earn a classification OR a piece of paper for the wall that says you're trained?
Mick, I sent you a PM which I think will answer your question. By the way, the very fact you asked this question is why I am seeking your counsel.

Let me put it this way, and I mean it in a humorous yet serious manner. I don't give a rat's ass about certifications of any sort. Nor do I care about competing, unless it is for my life or that of another innocent person. I want to know all there is about a 1911, and want someone to show me the proper drills and practice methods to be as good as I can get. By the way, my wife is a crack shot with her Kimber Super Carry Ultra +, and is just as eager to learn.

HK

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Mick, let me mention one more thing. You no doubt noticed the portion of my signature colored red. As a kid I heard Dad say this more times than I would have liked. I now know I heard it so much because I tended to do things the easy way. Of course, my kids heard it ad nauseum. This simple statement is the reason I want to become a complete 1911 guy, period.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Jim,
I mentioned YouTube on the PM. Look under the "Jerry Loyd COF" and stuff my son posts under "Mick and Michael Nelson...."
We practice this stuff regularly and my star pupil is my son.
He does some very fast point shooting on some of those YouTube videos.
It's constant practice with another "shooter" that got him there.
He's also is a Deputy for TCSO and knows those skills can save lives.
Paying for classes isn't enough. We've been doing the drills used by guys like Robbie Leatham and Max Michel for years...
They're free!

A very big reason I push competition is how I continue to beat Junior despite his speed and better equipment (he shoots an Open 38 Super SV against my Limited .40).
It's mindset, experience, and operating under pressure without screwing up your brain. It shows on the score sheet but could easily translate to the Police report!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Jim,
I mentioned YouTube on the PM. Look under the "Jerry Loyd COF" and stuff my son posts under "Mick and Michael Nelson...."
We practice this stuff regularly and my star pupil is my son.
He does some very fast point shooting on some of those YouTube videos.
It's constant practice with another "shooter" that got him there.
He's also is a Deputy for TCSO and knows those skills can save lives.
Paying for classes isn't enough. We've been doing the drills used by guys like Robbie Leatham and Max Michel for years...
They're free!

A very big reason I push competition is how I continue to beat Junior despite his speed and better equipment (he shoots an Open 38 Super SV against my Limited .40).
It's mindset, experience, and operating under pressure without screwing up your brain. It shows on the score sheet but could easily translate to the Police report!
Looks like some fun shooting in the videos I watched.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fred, are you in Monroe/Ruston? I'm in Lake Charles.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oooooh, Barbe vs West Monroe. Good rivalry. Y'all almost always have the upper hand.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, high school football.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There's Front Sight across the state line and I know a guy who is setting up a great training range in Utah who is from California. It really depends on what you're looking for and what experience you already have. Good luck and don't stop learning!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Not a HS football fan, but, I hate WMHS. Looong story there.:D

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Looks like some fun shooting in the videos I watched.
The kid is 28, I'm 30 years his senior ( pun intended ) but the rivalry is extreme and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm old and get bored easily, he brings back something I left along the way: The need for speed!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Speed is good. But not the only thing I work on.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Speed is what you work on when youve figured out the rest...

A fellow who spent 38 years of his life as a LEO once told me had seen a few gunfights and came to a conclusion.
That being the first combatant to fire a hit usually has the upper hand.
"Speed is fine, accuracy is final" NOT!!
Col Cooper proclaimed three things: Speed, Accuracy, & Power!
For a reason!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts