1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie in this forum, but I got a lot of info from you guys. Actually its the first site i visit everytime I log-on to the internet. I have a question. What is the difference between colt officers and colt defender? You see i placed an order for a defender, but my dealer told me that its very hard to find one (im from the Philippines). I was told the availble stock is a colt officer and it would take a little longer to the defender to be available. Do I have to settle for the officer or wait. I cant stand all your praises for the Defender. I have to have one. any info will be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by xela (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Defender is basically an Officers frame with a shorter slide and barrel, 3". There is a difference with the recoil guide / spring setup I believe but everything else is the same. Officers grips and mags all fit the Defender so no problem there. I have a Defender and have found it very reliable and concealable ( as far as 1911`s go). Of course, check your local laws concerning concealed carry before you do carry concealed.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The main difference is that the Defender is bushingless. The officer's have had problems with bushing/ bushing plug breakage in teh past because of the system used.
The recoil spring set-up in the Defender also decreases felt recoil more.

AFAIK, Colt has discontinued the Officers, so you might want to find out which Officer's is available, but overall, I think the Defender is a better gun.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by xela:
I'm a newbie in this forum, but I got a lot of info from you guys. Actually its the first site i visit everytime I log-on to the internet. I have a question. What is the difference between colt officers and colt defender? You see i placed an order for a defender, but my dealer told me that its very hard to find one (im from the Philippines)...

[This message has been edited by xela (edited 10-24-2001).]
You have a 1 1/4" difference in barrel length. It uses a bull barrel instead of the bushing, and its recoil spring system is taken with license from the Secamp design used on their .32 acp pistol. The Defender is also about 4 oz lighter than the CCO.

The Defender is a CCW gun. I wouldn't use it as only a home defense gun. The 3" barrel length takes a lot out of the .45 round (~200 fps). But for all day carry, the Colt or a Kimber Ultra carry is really the only way to go with a .45.

Really, the shorter barrel and weight savings makes a big comfort difference, but it also adds to muzzle flip and felt recoil. I get fatigued after shooting about 50 rounds through, but at 10 yards I can make easy head shots any time. I have been carrying the Defender for about 4 years now and it almost never leaves my side.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by FirearmsPlus.FL:
AFAIK, Colt has discontinued the Officers, so you might want to find out which Officer's is available, but overall, I think the Defender is a better gun.
The LW Officer and the CCO were discontinued (they both used the same LW frame) The Defender was intended to fill the gap when the CCO and the LW Officer were discontinued.

Regards,
Sam

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,420 Posts
Gun Nut - The CCO uses the Commander's 4.25" barrel, while the Officer's ACP uses a 3.5" barrel. The difference between the Defender and OACP is closer to 3/8". Since the butt lengths are the same, I'd say there's not much difference in the concealability. Lots of aftermarket parts avialable for the OACP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. You've been very helpfull. In that case I have to wait for the Defender and the glock26 will stay until its arrival. Anyway I already have a Colt Commander for home defense.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by Gun Nut:
and its recoil spring system is taken with license from the Secamp design used on their .32 acp pistol.
Seecamp (Sr) was a 1911 gunsmith as well as coming up with the little .32s
The .32s don't use this spring system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
is it genuine or not

hey guys,
how do spot a genuine or fake mk iv series 80 officer' acp cal. 45 . im from the philippines and somewhere in the southern part of our country is making fake colt 45s.pls send me pictures of genuine colt mk iv series 80 officer's acp.

thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Probably the best way to check authenticity wuld be to e-mail Colt to verify a specific serial #. Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts