1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......I have a 1918 Colt 1911 and can see that the barrel has been replaced at some point. I guess the original one was probably a HP. This one, that's currently on the pistol, has no markings on the top of the barrel, but has letters stamped on the lug. If the barrel was pointed towards the left and you were looking straight at the link pin, there would be an "S" and a "P" stamped VERTICALLY to the right of the pin. The "S" is directly over the "P". Anyone know the origin of this barrel. It was definitely replaced somewhere between 1918 and the end of WW2(guess I narrowed that one down ;) ) judging from information obtained from it's prior owner who "procured" it during the war. I looked at Ty's page, but couldn't find my barrel info. Maybe it's there and I just didn't see it. Any help from you fellas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Colt Seevers

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Dana, I don't know how far you want to get into replacement barrels, but Smith & Wesson made some (25,000 is the figure that comes to mind) in the 1960's. They are chrome lined.

The story is that the spec did not call for chrome lining, but S&W goofed and turned out thousands of barrels that were out of spec for oversize bores. Faced with scrapping the barrels (and watching dollars float away), they hit on the idea of chrome lining them. The barrels were now in spec, the government was happy with the free chrome job, and S&W came up smelling like roses.

Jim

·
Registered
308 Posts
i looked at the link...i have a GI chrome lined barrel marked:.45 auto (over) 7791193. near link pin hole (starboard side)MS (together) and port side M(pin hole)P. any idea about this one? who made it? thanks!!

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
This is the reason why I don't get too deeply into post-war GI contract barrels on my website. There were just too many different ones out there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts