1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my SA Champion to the range Saturday and, as I always do, I field stripped it afterward for cleaning. When I turned the barrel over the link pin fell out on the table.

It doesn't appear to be damaged, just way too loose - didn't seem to be a problem when I stripped it before. Just to be safe, I ordered Wilson replacement links and pins (2 each).

From another poster's question, I gather the pin wasn't staked at the factory. My question is: When I replace the link & pin will it need to be staked or are they generally a snug fit? If it will need staking, how do I do it?

Thanks guys,

Mac

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I've staked link pins with a center punch and a bench block. Support the barrel and lug area (with the link and pin installed) and use the center punch to dimple the lug close to the pin.

------------------
American by Birth, Gunowner by Choice
Molon Labe

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Jim V:
I've staked link pins with a center punch and a bench block. Support the barrel and lug area (with the link and pin installed) and use the center punch to dimple the lug close to the pin.

Thanks Jim. I figured it would either be a shim stock or peening type of procedure. I think I can handle that.

Mac

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello Maclean3,

Check you thread on "Range Reports", I left you a reply on how I staked mine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It is possible that the original pin was not sized properly. In that case, staking will help, but I would want to fit a larger diam. pin also. The pin should not be an easy 'drop-in' fit through the lugs.
-Sparks

·
Registered
417 Posts
If the gun is not malfunctioning, and there is no sign of any abnormal wear on the pin, link or barrel, I wouldn't worry about it.

My first 1911 was an old WWII veteran that saw much service in the Pacific. The pin fell out when I took it apart, but I never had any trouble. Other than finding it again, until I learned.

The pin should not need staking, but you can if you wish. It will just make it a bit more difficult to remove if you ever want to do that in the future.

Staking techniques seem to be well covered, so I won't try to reinvent the wheel.

Good shooting!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies all.
I get all my gun stuff shipped to my folks' house about an hour away. not really crazy the neighbors here and don't want UPS to leave packages at the door.

Nice to know the gun is shootable if need be. Picking up the new parts Saturday.

Mac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts