1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have several different brands of brass that I reload (Winchester, Remmington, Federal, etc.) but it seems that the Remmingtons are a lot softer. I've measured the wall thichness and they are all 0.010". I use a single stage press and when I resize, bell and seat the remmingtons go a lot easier. Sometimes the bullets seem to almost drop into the remmingtons without any effort where all the others have a good bit of resistance.

Is the brass used by Remminton that much softer are am I missing something? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
mixed-case blues

Most highly recommend a bullet sized .001" BIGGER, and finishing with a LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die.

Regardless of R-P cases being 'whatever', used cases can be 'whatever', too.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bullets don't actually drop in they just have much less resistance than other cases. And do you mean I should try to find some bullets that are .453", that's going to be tough. I do use a Lee FCD and the bullets shoot OK I was just asking if anyone else saw the Remmington cases as being softer.

·
Registered
812 Posts
It has also been my experience that Remington brass is much softer and for that very reason I now only reload Winchester and Federal. Of these two I have found the Winchester to be the stiffest but still very manageable.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
more clarity

What I meant was oft-fired cases of ANY brand can get 'soft' (or work-hardened, too), so going to a +1 bullet (and yes, I stock .453" bullets, and my 250g lead bullets are all .453" or better) is never a bad idea (unless, of course, you're trying to stuff them into a Nowlin or other-factory tight chamber).

Can also try different sizers; I have six or seven that vary slightly (but measurably).

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
In 45acp, 9mm and 38 special, I reload all brands of cases that I can find, except for AMERC. Other than some tighter (or looser) primer pockets, I've not noticed any difference in the "softness/hardness" of the brass.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I guess using a single stage press you get a real feel for each case. I use a 5 station progressive, so I am not getting that sensitive feedback from the handle. I use mixed headstamped brass with good results.

·
Registered
769 Posts
After installing the Lee Factory Crimp dies I quit searching through brass for Amerc. I run everything with very few case gauge failures. I only gauge match ammo these days.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have had similar results with R-P brass. I've been told that R-P case wall thickness is ever so slightly smaller than that of other headstamps. Not sure if there's anything to it or not. I do know, however, that I could push bullets back into an R-P case with my thumb. I tried the Lee FCD from loose to tight without satisfactory results. The bullets were still loose.

Someone on this forum suggested a Lee undersize resizing die. I've heard it said that it is the case wall tension that holds the bullet in the case and not the crimp. That has been my experience. I called Lee and got an undersize resizing die for 45 ACP. I used it with my R-P brass and got great results. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've been relaoding 45 ACP for over 30 years now and have always had this same issue with commercial R-P brass. I always cull it.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
opposite

I prefer R-P for certain chamberings due to its greater internal volume (see, skinnier walls, more room for powder, and better gasket action; I often do/did work-ups in new R-P cases just because they ARE thinner :hrm: ).

My uber-premium 45 ACP ammo gets nickel R-P (but no setback :grumble: ).

As for 'used' brass, I try to sort out the cracked stuff :cool:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Black_Talon said:
I've been relaoding 45 ACP for over 30 years now and have always had this same issue with commercial R-P brass. I always cull it.
Same here. I segregate it and use it only for cast loads where the larger diameter bullet gives adequate neck tension.

·
Registered
345 Posts
rnelson11,
Yep, same results here, which resulted in bullet setback, but thanks to the advice of WESHOOT2, I now use a LEE "undersize" die, and the R-P brass has much better neck tension. ;)

---
Ray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts