1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I got it on December 5th, and bad weather has kept my shooting time to a minimum.

I have, however, managed 250+ rounds downrange, and so far, not so much as a hiccup. I've fired three brands of ball, along with quite a few 230-grain round nose lead reloads. Everything has functioned perfectly.

I know my manual says to break in with 400-500 rounds, but with performance out of the box this good, I don't think I'm going to have any issues. In my experience a new gun's problems, if any, will show up very soon, and unless there is some major manufacturing defect, those problems work themselves out over time.

As far as I'm concerned, this one is "broken in." I expect a $1200 handgun to work right from the get-go, and I am not disappointed in the slightest.

Any reason I should rethink my position?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Good report. Did you fire any of your defensive ammo?

Seeing that you purchased a CDP I would assume you intend to carry it or at least use it for defensive purposes? I'd run at least 50-100 rounds of a couple of my prefered carry/defensive loads through it to make sure it feeds them 100%. If it feeds them all with no problems than I'd say you're good to go!

Oh and I have 3 CDP's and no one has given me a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
At this point I'd feel confident that you're past any "problems", especially with the different ammo you've used. You'd probably want to shoot some JHP's if you're going to carry, just to be sure.

By the way.....which CDP II do you have...Ultra, Pro or Custom?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd say you are good to go after you put 50 troublefree rounds of your carry load downrange. With my Ultra CDP II, I declared it ready to carry after 150 ball rounds and 50 defense rounds loaded in 4 different magazines all without a single hiccup.

YMMV

Lon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 5" Custom. I love the eleven or so ounces I don't have to carry. The pistol is all the things I would want a custom job to be, but without the need of buying a base gun and getting it worked.

All the mags I tried have been tested at length in other guns; half are Novak (Mec-Gar) 8-round and half are Wilson Combat 8-round.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have an older first series CDP, one of the best 1911-style pistols ever made. It has given me no problems whatsoever with any ammunition, but I have noticed that point of impact can vary with different ammunition. This is a consideration with any pistol, especially one with fixed sights.

My suggestion is to make sure that the ammunition that you choose to rely upon shoots to point of aim. If not, make the necessary adjustments or change ammunition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Lobo

I always check my carry load for POI. My usual carry ammo is 230-grain Hydra Shok, but it hits almost the same POI as my practice reloads. In fact, I kind of planned things that way. Saves lots and lots of money.

I've been shooting, carrying, and accumulating 1911s since 1972, and no matter what wonder gun comes my way, I always seem to gravitate back to JMB's big old punkinball thrower.

My most common carry gun for several years has been a stainless Commander, but I've also carried this 70 Series Commander:

When I'm in a "light" mood, a tricked out Hi Power rides on my side:

And then there are those "retro" days and a restored Series 70 Government:

This old gun delivers the goods at combat ranges:

(Trying to empty that mag in less than 10 seconds threw a round or two off target just a mite.)

The last 24 rounds from the new Kimber on her first outing hit pretty much where they were supposed to at ten yards, though the last eight were fired really, really fast.

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
Okay, I got it on December 5th, and bad weather has kept my shooting time to a minimum.

I have, however, managed 250+ rounds downrange, and so far, not so much as a hiccup. I've fired three brands of ball, along with quite a few 230-grain round nose lead reloads. Everything has functioned perfectly.

I know my manual says to break in with 400-500 rounds, but with performance out of the box this good, I don't think I'm going to have any issues. In my experience a new gun's problems, if any, will show up very soon, and unless there is some major manufacturing defect, those problems work themselves out over time.

As far as I'm concerned, this one is "broken in." I expect a $1200 handgun to work right from the get-go, and I am not disappointed in the slightest.

Any reason I should rethink my position?
With all my Kimbers, including a CDP Pro, I pull the mag and rack the slide 100+ times, then swab the bore with a clean patch, lube the hell out of it, then run 300-350 rounds of FMJ through it. So far, it's been a routine that's worked out great on all 8 Kimbers. Sounds like you need to find a good SD load now:)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'd run at least 50-100 rounds of a couple of my prefered carry/defensive loads through it to make sure it feeds them 100%
My Ultra CDP II has performed like a champ...not a hiccup with 500 rounds thru it. Not to be a nit-picker, but I am a stickler for reading the owner's manual for each item I purchase that is accompanied by one. The Ultra manual recommends the use of ball ammo only. As such, I use ball ammo in my Ultra for a defensive load.

I am hopeful that I am not going to be in a gun-fight that involves great distances (or any distance, for that matter) and if I ever did have to fire my gun defensively, that is the exact reason I elected to carry a .45 to begin with...max damage. I don't want to or mean to start a "caliber war" or "FMJ vs JHP" conversation, it is just a simple statement of my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To 45Gunner

My Series 70 Commander feeds and fires ball very reliably, but it occasionally chokes on other loads.

Do I feel undergunned carrying .45 FMJ? Nope. It was good enough for 80 years or so, and it's good enough now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a Ultra CDP 11 and have put around 300 or so rounds through it before I started to carry it as my everyday gun. I do think it's a good idea. However I hate to hear from dealers, manufactures, and others that if your pistol doesn't work with this ammo try another brand until you find something your gun likes. This might be a true fact, however it needs to be addressed. If I purchase a $1200- $1500 handgun I expect it to shoot any ammo I choose without any problems. Too many manufactures use this excuse. If thats the case they should let you know before you purchase the weapon with a warning on the box:"THIS FIREARM MAY NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY UNTIL YOU FIND AMMO IT LIKES"

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
I have a Ultra CDP 11 and have put around 300 or so rounds through it before I started to carry it as my everyday gun. I do think it's a good idea. However I hate to hear from dealers, manufactures, and others that if your pistol doesn't work with this ammo try another brand until you find something your gun likes. This might be a true fact, however it needs to be addressed. If I purchase a $1200- $1500 handgun I expect it to shoot any ammo I choose without any problems. Too many manufactures use this excuse. If thats the case they should let you know before you purchase the weapon with a warning on the box:"THIS FIREARM MAY NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY UNTIL YOU FIND AMMO IT LIKES"
RTFM! It tells ya right there what ammo to use.:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
RTFM! It tells ya right there what ammo to use.:)
Yeah I am looking at the manual right now, and it states "Use only high quality factory manufactured ammunition" It also states" For best results we recommend the use of jacketed round nose ball ammunition" That we already know! What I was referring to is even though you use what it states in the manual, and that doesn't seem to work well others will tell you to try this ammo or that ammo. What I am saying if you pay for a quality pistol it should fire any good quality factory ammo you choose without any problems period! That's just my opinion. If you choose to purchase the only one brad of ammo that works in your pistol that's your choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts