1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. For my first thread (finally got the training wheels off the keyboard) I have a question for all you 1911 luvers.

I am looking to add an ambi. thumb saftey to my Norinco 1911. Is there a manufacturer that is superior over all others? I know this can be a loaded question like asking who makes a better pistol. The ambi thumb saftey will be used a lot, and I have heard that some safteys will hold up under continued use and others will won't.

Also a question in general, is there one manufacturer of custom parts that is better in overall product quality and durability, not just an ambi saftey? I am new to 1911s and specifically the Norinco and unfamiliar with the after market products, manufacturers and their reputations.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't have experience with aftermarket ambi-safeties. But I do like the shape of the single sided Brown safety I have on my Kimber. Kings makes a different style of ambi than most other people, supposedly it does away with the weaknesses of the standard ambi's but is more difficult to take apart.

As far as parts suppliers I like to shot around for each part I buy. Brown mainspring housings and thumb safeties are my favorites. I don't like their hammers or firing pin stops. Wilson makes great hammers and sears but I don't like their thumb safeties or mainspring housings. Caspian makes a great firing pin stop and a slide stop that is as good as if not better than the Brown or EGW units.

So you'll have to mix and match if you want the "best" for each part. But no one would look at you funny if you built a gun with all Wilson/Brown/Caspian parts as they're all very good parts, even if they aren't the best at everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts