1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should start by saying the gun functions fine and groups accuratly just the way it is.I was wondering about the factory plastic(MIM?)barrel link in my 1991.Is this gonna be a longterm durability problem?I guess the link just swivels on its pin,not to sure if it gets jerked around real hard or not.I've heard of people getting a NM barrel link.What is that ?Just a tighter fit?

Finally,I wonder what other plastic parts are hiding inside my Colt besides the link and MSH?Havne't detail stripped mine yet.

Thanks for any info fellas,Byron.

·
3,100 Posts
MIM isn't plastic and I am fairly certain that the barrel link isn't either.

DONT WORRY ABOUT IT!!! There are no bad parts hiding in your gun. Shoot it until it breaks and then worry about fixing it. You will probably be shooting a long time.

This MIM phobia is almost out of hand.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I'm not really worried about the MIM parts,I don't really have a problem with them.Seems that Kimber and others have proven their fitness for service.I just wanted to know what MIM parts exist for my own info.The barell link in my gun is infact not metal and if MIM looks and feels loike metal then it is nit MIM either.It is black(barrel is SS)and looks and feels like some sort of plastic.So my question was more about the function of the barrel lug; what kind of abuse it takes,does effect accuracy ....ect.

No need to defend MIM James,I can live with it..LOL

·
Premium Member
7,147 Posts
byron,
I think George makes longer than stock plastic barrel links if you ever want to upgrade.

·
3,100 Posts
This is news to me then....I have never seen a plastic barrel link.

Theoretically, the barrel link only serves to help pull the barrel lugs away from the slide lugs during recoil. In a PROPERLY or EXACTLY fit gun, there should be very little stress on the barrel link...if any.

In guns that are less than perfect, the barrel link will stop the rearward movement of the barrel (recoil surface, frame bridge, rear or bottom lugs out of spec) or it will lift/hold the barrel into battery (lower barrel lugs fit loosely on the slide stop pin).

Did you buy this gun new and is it original? I assume it is a Colt correct? And you have checked it with a magnet?

MIM IS metal so if you have plastic, it isn't MIM (Metal injection molding)

Fascinating.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have never heard of a plastic barrel link and in a factory fit gun I wouldn't want one. The drop in fit factory barrels put more stress on the link then a properly fit barrel with properly cut upper and lower lugs. The timing of these barrels are rarely correct. If a magnet does not attract it I would replace it.
Just MHO.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
As posted in the link above, Colt barrel links are barstock.

·
Registered
641 Posts
<<<I think George makes longer than stock plastic barrel links if you ever want to upgrade.>>>

Actually George discontinued them after one broke and the slide jumped off the frames rail and put someones eye out.
Georges Red Ryder plastic barrel links half off.
Chris

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ouch! Just goes to show the need for proper eye protection at all times. :cool: Do you think these" new fangled " links will cause the 1911 to go the way of the Ross rifle ? ;)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
If I were marketing,selling, or making replacement parts for the 1911 one of the best advertising tools I could have would be a digital camera, a pc and a couple of worst case examples of MIM parts failure. Then I would circulate some terrible stories about failure that resulted in (let your imagination fill in the blanks)

Everyone would be rushing to replace a perfect working part with one of my
hand made custom upgrades. Then I would laugh all the way to the bank. :rock:

·
Registered
761 Posts
rdinak said:
If I were marketing,selling, or making replacement parts for the 1911 one of the best advertising tools I could have would be a digital camera, a pc and a couple of worst case examples of MIM parts failure. Then I would circulate some terrible stories about failure that resulted in (let your imagination fill in the blanks)

Everyone would be rushing to replace a perfect working part with one of my
hand made custom upgrades. Then I would laugh all the way to the bank. :rock:
Got a couple of those pictures handy?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
FWIW, the latest G&A talks of the new FN SPR FBI approved rifle. The article bragged of the MIM technology which allowed FN to make it lighter and therefore safer in the inertial firing test (drop test) due to the lower mass over a barstock part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts