1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a 1911 Heinie gun calibered in 40 S&W. It is built on Caspian frame and slide. Can any one give me info on his guns

Thanks

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Heinie guns at one time were (and probably still are) the gold standard that custom guns were judged against.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mr Heinie is one of the foremost experts on John Browning's timeless 1911.
His work is on a level with the best of the best.(Vickers, Nastoff, Swenson, et al)

You will be very pleased.

DH

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I would suggest, getting the serial number of the pistol, and calling him and asking about it. Heinie guns are Heinie guns and are in essence commodity. More than likely, what you pay now, you may be able to sell for more later. Those with the skill and craftmanship of Richard can be counted with the fingers of one hand, and you aren't going to need all of them.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Heinie's reputation is basically that he's the Alpha and Omega of pistolsmiths. His volume is so low that there are hardly any around to find out if the hype is justified or not. Which isn't to say that it isn't, just that most people who say that Heinie is Da Man have no reason to know one way or the other. But he likes the 10mm cartridge, so he's cool in my book. :D

His waiting list literally has a 10 month waiting list. :eek:

If you are interested in being placed on the Heinie Waiting List, please check back in approximately 10 months.
http://www.heinie.com/pistolsm.html

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
CastleBravo, you must of meant 10 years instead of months. When I called this past summer I was quoted 7 years. Given Pistolsmiths often underestimate how long it will really take 10 years would be about right. I have one Heinie pistol and it is as good as a Nastoff in my opinion. Not to suprising as Nastoff did learn some pistolsmithing skills under Heinie. Currently I may have a chance to buy another Heinie and if it's for sale I certainly will and I don't even know the price yet!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Gary1911A1 said:
CastleBravo, you must of meant 10 years instead of months. When I called this past summer I was quoted 7 years. Given Pistolsmiths often underestimate how long it will really take 10 years would be about right. I have one Heinie pistol and it is as good as a Nastoff in my opinion. Not to suprising as Nastoff did learn some pistolsmithing skills under Heinie. Currently I may have a chance to buy another Heinie and if it's for sale I certainly will and I don't even know the price yet!
No...CastleBravo meant what he said... 10 months, just to get on the waiting list. Once you're there, it's another 7 years (or whatever Richard Heinie says it is).

I got on his list before he closed it (his website has it closed for 10 months). Now I gotta find a pistol and wait....:)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I actually spoke to Richard on this matter, he said the SN was useless... to verify, look for "R. Heinie" on one side of the gun, and a shop number somewhere else, that I think is prefixed with either R. or R.H.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I didn't know there was a "waiting list" of 10 months to get on the list. First I have heard of that for any Pistolsmith. I am 51 now and I don't think I want to wait that long myself. Hope I am able to buy that Heinie if it comes up for sale.:)

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
The wait for a Heinie pistol is substantial....there's only one Richard Heinie working there and he does them right! However, do bear in mind that one can get the excellent Heinie sights installed and the practical and unique "scalloping" frontstrap treatment down on a quick turn-around basis. The resulting gun won't be a full-house Heinie, but it'll have some nice touches, expertly done.

Rosco

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
TRB said:
I actually spoke to Richard on this matter, he said the SN was useless... to verify, look for "R. Heinie" on one side of the gun, and a shop number somewhere else, that I think is prefixed with either R. or R.H.
That's the number I am talking about. On the right side should be RH###.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts