1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a TLE II earlier this year, and I've been running into an issue with it. When I insert a mag and press the slide release to chamber a round, there are times when the round gets hung up. All I have to do is push the rear of the slide, and it will chamber completely. Normally, this happens on the first round of the mag. However, there are times when it happens midway through a mag. I have somwhere between 1,500 and 2,000 rounds through the gun. I share mags between the TLE and my Springfield LW Champion Operator. All the mags work fine in the Springfield. Should I send my gun back to Kimber with a letter explaining my issue, or should I just take it to a gunsmith and let them fix it? This is the gun I usually keep in my nightstand for home defense, and right now I don't feel very comfortable with it since it's not 100% reliable. So the Springfield has taken it's position for the time being. When the Kimber is working, it's amazing. It shoots and feels exactly like I want it to. I hate to think that if this issue can't be resolved that I would have to trade it for another Springfield. I have yet to have any issues with my Springfield, and it has more rounds through it. :rolleyes: What should I do?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try an 18.5 lb recoil spring from either Wilson, wolf, or ISMI. That will give that extra bit of force when its going into battery. Good Luck:)

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Using a heavier spring will only hide a problem. If you haven't yet changed the 16# spring, now would be a good time. Also make sure your gun is lubed properly.

Lastly, try slingshotting the slide to see if it still occurs rather than using the slide release to chamber the first round.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Are you having trouble with just reloads or factory too? I had some reloads that the bullets didn't seat very well in and there was a small bulge in the side of the brass which caused some problems with the slid going all the way forward. Once those were gone, it was OK.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wboggs said:
Are you having trouble with just reloads or factory too? I had some reloads that the bullets didn't seat very well in and there was a small bulge in the side of the brass which caused some problems with the slid going all the way forward. Once those were gone, it was OK.
I've never put reloads through it. I've only shot Winchester white box.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Kruzr said:
Using a heavier spring will only hide a problem. If you haven't yet changed the 16# spring, now would be a good time. Also make sure your gun is lubed properly.

Lastly, try slingshotting the slide to see if it still occurs rather than using the slide release to chamber the first round.
Bingo. Slighshot it. Don't use the slide STOP.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shouldn't the gun still chamber the round completely by releasing the slide stop? Every gun I've had chambers a round fine by using this method after a mag empties and I stick in a new one. I hate to think that I payed that much money for a gun that doesn't work correctly. I don't want to just find a way around the problem. I want it to be fixed. I bought this gun for home defense. I don't think I can tell the intruder, "Time out. I need to slingshot my slide so this round will chamber. Ok, time in." I don't see it happening like that. I want my home defense gun to be 100% so I can rely on it. I just don't know if it would be worth sending it back to Kimber, or have a gunsmith look at it and fix it.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Live2Ride said:
Shouldn't the gun still chamber the round completely by releasing the slide stop? Every gun I've had chambers a round fine by using this method after a mag empties and I stick in a new one. I hate to think that I payed that much money for a gun that doesn't work correctly. I don't want to just find a way around the problem. I want it to be fixed. I bought this gun for home defense. I don't think I can tell the intruder, "Time out. I need to slingshot my slide so this round will chamber. Ok, time in." I don't see it happening like that. I want my home defense gun to be 100% so I can rely on it. I just don't know if it would be worth sending it back to Kimber, or have a gunsmith look at it and fix it.
Put a new 16# spring in and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts