1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to 1911 world. I do own a SA 1911-A1 loaded and it's got the 2 piece full length guide rod that requires a hex wrench to disassemble the gun. is there any way I can replace the guide rod with 1 piece full length guide rod that does not require a tool to disassemble it? if it does, what do I need to get? I like to carry my 1911 but I really dont want to carry a hex wrench with me if I go somewhere far. I would like to disassemble it without using any tool. I know that the G.I. guide rod doesn't require any tool to disassemble it, but I would like to stick with full length guide rod. please let me know.

thanks guys,

Aron

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
You sort of want your cake and eat it too. There is a 1 piece guide rod that has a lever installed on the shaft that lifts up to retain the spring cap in compression for disassembly. They are expensive about twice the cost of a 1 piece FLGR that requires a bent paper clip to hold the cap and spring in compression. I think if your search Brownells or Midway you will find it. IMHO having to use a paper clip is not all that bad. I travel around the country with my EDC, and I always have a small tool/cleaning kit in my luggage. Just my .02

·
Registered
364 Posts
Check Brownells or go direct to the Kimber site where >

they sell a one piece guide rod that should just drop right in. Same guide rod they use on their Custom II's.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't want to start a whole full length vs gi guide rod argument, but honestly my advice is to change it out to a GI. The full length literally has NO benefit. Many people have done tests on accuracy and reliability between full length and standard and have found absolutely no difference. So I would save myself the trouble and just change it out for the standard length setup...

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I don't want to start a whole full length vs gi guide rod argument, but honestly my advice is to change it out to a GI. The full length literally has NO benefit.

+1

this has been my personal experience with full length guide rods on 1911's as well. :)

if i bought a loaded, first thing i would do is install a GI plug.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
What system does Springfield fit to their $2500 Professional models? Yep, the GI plug and guide. But these pistols are intended for armed professionals... :)

Discard the full length rod. Get the GI plug and guide from Brownells. While you're ordering get a GI type mainspring plunger, spring, and plunger retaining pin. 19# mainspring is about ideal in my experience. This will drop the trigger pull to near 4# and eliminate the lock.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
What system does Springfield fit to their $2500 Professional models? Yep, the GI plug and guide. But these pistols are intended for armed professionals... :)

-- Chuck
Ding...ding...ding... I should also add, the Pro meats very strict accuracy requirements!

The FLGR also eliminates a handy one handed cocking technique.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Registered
423 Posts
To respond to the origonal post, Wilson Combat makes a decent 1 piece FLGR you can disassemble without tools. Brownells sells them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To respond to the origonal post, Wilson Combat makes a decent 1 piece FLGR you can disassemble without tools. Brownells sells them.
Nice to know that. I'm going for Wilson Combat 1 peice FLGR. that's actually my first choice. Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
I looked at a Springfield Loaded yesterday that may come home with me, first thing I will do is remove that two piece guide rod and replace it with the GI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts