1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I've got a little over 2,000 rounds through my SCG. I've been using the same lubricant, cleaning after every range trip, etc.

I feel crazy for saying this, but it seems to be getting tighter, not loosening up.

When I got it the gun rattled--quite a bit actually. Didn't bother me in the least, especially after shooting it.

Over the last couple thousand rounds the gun seems to be getting tighter, not looser. The gun doesn't rattle at all now and the frame and slide only have a tiny bit of movement. Not tight like a Baer, but much tighter than a normal Colt and much tighter than when new.

So am I just nuts or is the gun tightening up as the barrel/slide stop wears in?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hmmmm...methinks your satisfaction with the Colt increases the more you shoot it, and you notice the rattles less and less(?)

:)

Anyway, an interesting point you make, just awaiting a more knowledgeable response than mine for now as well...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Lube might muffle and cushion the rattling so it appears the gun is tighter. I seriously doubt it's getting tighter.

If anything all the parts are wearing and seating together to form the perfect pistol. It's a top of the line pistol and only gets better the more you shoot it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Puff puff pass
Actually I've been shooting 1911s for 20 years now. I have several Colts, a Wilson and a Baer.

When new, even with lube the gun rattled. It has become noticeably tighter, not looser. It's an odd thing in my experience, enough so I wanted to ask the question. I'm not inexperienced, insane, stupid (or high) but I know what I've noticed is real, not just in my head.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lube might muffle and cushion the rattling so it appears the gun is tighter. I seriously doubt it's getting tighter.

If anything all the parts are wearing and seating together to form the perfect pistol. It's a top of the line pistol and only gets better the more you shoot it.
I know a little lube can remove some play and I realize the gun should be looser, not tighter. When clean, with the same lube the gun is noticeably tighter than when new. It's weird and it's not just in my head.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I donsen't ever gets tighter on its own. You want it to be so you read into it that way....

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Either way I wouldn't worry about it as long as the pistol is accurate and functions properly.

Tight vs loose is a highly overrated issue with 1911 pistols. It's right up there with other useless concepts like polishing feed ramps and full length guide rods.

I know you're not supposed to say things like that on internet gun forums, but there I said it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You're not crazy, and neither am I. Because I had a similar experience with my SCG government. Bought it and was initially a bit disappointed, because there is not just a noticeable play on the slide, but excessive rattling trigger. However, I quickly got over it once it was tested and continued to be amazed at how well all my colts shoot. Especially this one.

However, now 700 in, I noticed the play on the slide is less noticeable, and the rattle on the trigger is pretty much gone.

I don't think the gun got tighter, but more well fitted I'm guessing. Not sure about the trigger. Prob build up from gunk/powder. Either way, not gonna complain.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Is it possible that dirt is finally reaching into places that you can't get to when you clean (nobody can get to 'em short of a full teardown), and the dirt is filling in some spaces where it was rattling? :scratch:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm thinking that mating surfaces have bedded in and the slide and receiver are making contact over a larger area. Since there is spring pressure, perhaps you're feeling parts that now fit better?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
{Mutual of Omaha} Behold, the mating habits of frame and slide. Let's get a closer look Jim, shall we? {/Wild Kingdom}

{Marlin} Whoops, that's too close! {/Perkins}

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm thinking that mating surfaces have bedded in and the slide and receiver are making contact over a larger area. Since there is spring pressure, perhaps you're feeling parts that now fit better?
That is something that makes a lot of sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts