1911Forum banner

Question about old ammo

838 5
My uncle gave me a box of Olin Mathieson Chemical Corporation .45 bass ammo, the box is in good shape but looks old, all 50 rounds are there. Any idea how old these are and what I should do with them? Are they worth holding onto or should I shoot them up?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Hold my beer & watch this
5,567 Posts
Being a non-authority,you can take this for what you paid for it...Olin and Winchester are the same thing now,so it should be good ammo,I'd probably keep it around for a decoration though.

You prob'ly already know this,if you shoot it it should go bang,but I wouldn't put it in a HD/carry gun.

I could do a Google search,but I'm just going off the top of my head here.

· Registered
668 Posts
I'm afraid that it is just really, really dangerous ammo. Please send it to me so I can safely monitor it on my mantle with my old guns.

In all seriousness, it will almost without exception go bang, but, IMHO, collect even better.

As to price, a serious collector of period ammunition will pay a premium for a box w/ammo in good shape. To me, it's worth about $12-15 a box.:)

I'd just put it up and go to wally-world and buy a box of 100 for $20 and go shooting.

dj

· Registered
7,462 Posts
Either save it for sentimental value or shoot it. I regularly find "42" headstamp brass that I reload. I have actually shot some factory ??? that had a "22 or 23" headstamp a couple of years ago. The only question is whether it is old enough to be corrosive. It's not a prob to shoot, you just have to be a little more meticulous about cleaning afterwards. Tracy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.