1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the 1991A1 contains a number of plastic parts. Can most (or all) of these parts be replaced with ones that are metal?

(Basically, I'm trying to choose a 1911 that is as "GI" as possible. As far as I know, the only plastic parts on a WWII-era 1911 were the grips.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only plastic parts on a standard 1991A1 are the trigger shoe and the mainspring housing. They can be readily replaced. Some of the other parts are now MIM, on which the jury is still out. The newer generations of MIM parts seem to be doing better than the earlier ones. Milled stock parts are better, but also more expensive.

Good luck,
Tom

[This message has been edited by Tachyon (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,033 Posts
Without a doubt the most GI-ish guns currently on the market are the Argentine imports. All milled and checkered parts, just like mom used to make 'em!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would hang on to the plastic trigger. A steel trigger is more likely to cause hammer following if you ever will go for a lighter trigger pull.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want to get as GI as possible check out Colt's website.They are reproducing the 1911 A1 complete with original packaging. These are NOT the 1991 A1's. I agree, I don't like the plasticizing of the newer Colt's either.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I bought a series 80 commander new last year, I was shocked that it had a plastic trigger in it. But after I thought about it, plastic might be better for two reasons: First of all, they are super super light so they would work perfect with a match trigger job. And second of all, you never have to worry about the finish comming off like how the bluing on steel triggers scratches right off after just a few pulls (one of my biggest pet peeves about series 70 guns
). The plastic ones might take the "G.I." appearance away since they are so much longer though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As always, thanks for the info guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts