1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Does anyone use them? Do they affect operational performance?
This one has been mulled over a number of times and a search (search function above) on this topic might pay off for you.

I have guns with them and guns without them. All shoot well and hit the target. I check those with them regularly for wear. My weapons have worked and functioned well either way, so no issue for me. Other folks don't like them at all. Some like myself, split the difference. They use them in range guns but not in SD/HD weapons. Some have them in everything. So it goes in 1911 land.

Good luck and good shooting to you. :rock:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i never had a problem with them, but i dont use them anymore.

some people will say its ok to use at the range but take it out before you carry the gun. i figured why bother.

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ok for range but not for carry. Seem brand new buffers fail and render the gun useless. They are as useless and a full length guide rod.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It depends what kind of usage you have in mind for your gun. I use my guns mostly for USPSA shooting, and for this purpose I would not shoot without a full-length guide rod and without shock buffer. For different purposes, they might not be necessary, but it is not my case. Almost all competitive pistol shooters use shock buffers (and nowadays they are available for Glocks, CZ, SIG, you name it). If your gun works with shock buffer (some short barrel 1911 won’t), it would be a good thing using them.

There are 2 main reasons for using shock buffers. We competitive shooter have a high count of rounds a month and because most of us also use lighter recoil spring to have a fast 2nd shot sight picture recover. High round count and light recoil spring beats the frame pretty good. Shock buffers should be replaced at about 1000 rounds to prevent disintegration and possible failure if it is never replaced.

Currently I am shooting about 6 matches (about 120 rounds each) a month plus 4 range days for practice (200 / 300 rounds each - Shock buffers are must for me, but if you are using the standard recoil spring and you round count is not high, shock buffers will not make a big difference.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Do not flog this deceased equine.

Closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.