1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a seller on Auction Arms, his name is Jackthedog. He has some really nice 1911's and it looks like he is honest about his guns. Anyone have an opinion about this guy?

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
In general we discourage discussing online sellers on this website, as the threads can turn ugly without the person being here to defend himself. However, the person in question has been discussed before and the concensus is that he's okay. I don't know where he finds so many GI guns to sell, but he uses clear pictures and fairly accurate descriptions.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DSK. That's the same opinion I formed of him after looking at his auctions. Does he participate on this forum?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
JTD has 4477 positive, and 3 neutrals and no negatives since 1999. I doubt there's anyone else on AA with that kind of feedback. Obviously he's a dealer and I've yet to meet the dealer who was completely knowledgeable in every facet of firearms collecting. That's virtually impossible. He does allow an inspection period. What more can you ask for? Yes, I've done business with him and at least three of those positives are mine. I don't know about you, but remember back when you purchased by word of mouth? An ad in the AutoMag, a phone call to the seller. Obviously, it helps to know what your looking at, I think that goes without saying.

As far as the quality of the guns he sells, I can only GUESS that it's due to A) he advertises that he will buy your guns, B) his auctions generally turn in higher prices. Therefore, if I wanted to quietly sell off some of my guns, I would probably try to work an arrangement with him, consignment or outright sale if I didn't want to do it myself.

I've never heard anyone accuse him of the stuff the other party referred to in the previous post does.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Here's one I would have liked to buy but just couldn't do it right now. I don't have time to go off to the big gun shows and the ones in this area have been a real disappointment for a number of years. About all they are good for is reloading supplies and to stock up on beef jerky. Then there's always the fantasy knives and bling bling jewelry. I even traded with Scott once and I'd leave him positive feedback he's okay.

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=8374040.0

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Scott Gahimer said:
I understand people asking for opinions on sellers. However, I think opinions and feedback mean as close to nothing as possible. The key to getting a good pistol is to know one when you see it. What one fellow does 99 times, he may not do the 100th. Discussing reputations, character and credibility of persons is generally a loser IMO. Is feedback useful?
Speaking of feedback, check out dbcolts on AuctionArms. 153 total with 149 positive, 1 negative and 3 neutrals. A neutral indicates something was returned and money was refunded. 1 negative out of 150? Pretty good numbers, hmmm?
I'd rather discuss the guns. If your buying reputations, then they're worth discussing. But if your buying guns...

+1

Feedback inflation set in on internet purchasing a few years ago. A
glowing A+ rating means nothing more than okay now. If you were to
rate someone as "Good" and not "Great," they'd be after you for why
you did that to them.

Congratulations on making Senior Member, Scott.

Joe

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
JTD apparently does a lot of consignments. Two people I know have checked with him on the matter and one has used him. Apparently he gets 15%, unless that has changed in the last 6 months. He knows 1911s and A1s pretty well. He is less up on some of the other things he sales.

·
Registered
989 Posts
He's got a nice honest-wear Colt 'A1 that's only at 710 with two days to go. Too bad it'll turn into a last minute war like they always do, I'd happily go 710 for it. :bawling:

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Whoever got the .38 Super got a pretty good deal. I'm sorry I missed it too. :bawling:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
There is a seller on Auction Arms, his name is Jackthedog. He has some really nice 1911's and it looks like he is honest about his guns. Anyone have an opinion about this guy?
At the risk of beating a dead horse, the op's question asked for opinions of JacktheDog and it looks to me that a lot of people think he's swell, I think he's swell and contrary to what everyone says about Scott, I think he's swell too. Now, that doesn't mean we're going to take long hot showers together in the wee hours of the night, it just means everyone is swell except Dave, he is definately not swell, but he knows a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Sgt Art said:
At the risk of beating a dead horse, the op's question asked for opinions of JacktheDog and it looks to me that a lot of people think he's swell, I think he's swell and contrary to what everyone says about Scott, I think he's swell too. Now, that doesn't mean we're going to take long hot showers together in the wee hours of the night, it just means everyone is swell except Dave, he is definately not swell, but he knows a lot of stuff.
I agree on all counts. DB is nice but I do not want to buy from him unless I see the gun in person and am sure it is OK. I have looked at lots of his stuff and some(not often) is actually real. I would buy from Scott or Jack as I know there will be nothing hidden.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts