1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What went down with the US Army between Beretta and and Sig?
Beretta had the contract with the US Army and lost it to Sig Saur.
Anybody know what transpired there?:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
That's news to me. Have a link or source to the report about the switch?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
That's news to me as well. I know the M11 (P228) has been in use in several branches of the service for years now. But I didn't hear that SIG had replaced the M9 contract...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not seen a Beretta in Iraq in three years. Nothing but Sigs in Mil side of the house.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Beretta signed two contracts over the past year to provide 200 kguns for one and 450 kguns for the second/ most recent.:confused:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beretta signed two contracts over the past year to provide 200 kguns for one and 450 kguns for the second/ most recent.:confused:
Where are the weapons then? Who has the weapons?:confused:
I have NEVER seen Beretta's any on anyone's side in Iraq or Afghanistan. I must see thousands of sidearms a day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only military that I know of that are using Sigs that are regular issue are the Seals who use P226 9mm. But there are plenty of other guns being used besides Beretta's.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What kind of thousands of sidearms do you see everyday in Iraq or Afghanistan?
I have worked in Iraq the last two years and other contracts before then.
All military carry Sigs there except spec ops...Beretta's are no where to be seen...I never saw one...ever.
The Airforce, Navy and Army all carry Sigs except spec ops......by the way, they carry 1911's, not Sigs as the other poster posted.
Everyone carries. Contractors carry Glocks. Maybe the gun mags advertisements have lead some of you to believe different.
Maybe someone sold somebody a bill of goods and no delivery...:)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What army are you serving with? Because it is not the United States.
This Army...You recognize it? You recognize where it is at in Iraq?:) If you ever been to this God forsaken place, you would remember.:biglaugh:
I am assuming you served in Iraq with a Beretta? Where where you at?:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I was able to buy back two of my old Sigs...and I love them. But I don't carry them daily. That is reserved for either a 1911 or a Glock. The only Beretta I give houseroom to (except their shotguns...which I do have a couple of) is their .22 (which is old and incredibly beaten up, missing a grip screw on one side...but I still love it!)

FWIW - When the Military "originally" switched to the Beretta to replace the 1911, the Sig Sauer actually finished better in the testing - they just would not negotiate their pricing (source - google it and do some research...it was available during the 80's in a lot of gun mags)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have worked in Iraq the last two years and other contracts before then.
All military carry Sigs there except spec ops...Beretta's are no where to be seen...I never saw one...ever.
The Airforce, Navy and Army all carry Sigs except spec ops......by the way, they carry 1911's, not Sigs as the other poster posted.
Everyone carries. Contractors carry Glocks. Maybe the gun mags advertisements have lead some of you to believe different.
Maybe someone sold somebody a bill of goods and no delivery...:)

Sorry, but I don't think so!

Maybe there's no Berettas in a very small, highly specialized location in Iraq, but
the mainstream US military carries the Beretta M9 as a sidearm.

I'm betting it's the most common US military sidearm in Iraq?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, but I don't think so!

Maybe there's no Berettas in a very small, highly specialized location in Iraq, but
the mainstream US military carries the Beretta M9 as a sidearm.

I'm betting it's the most common US military sidearm in Iraq?
That was my thoughts for years also. The COB I am at in the southern part has over 10,000 and I have seen no Berettas. I thought it was strange at first too, until I just accepted it as routine. Must be a reason I guess, I thought someone knew for sure.:)
Thanks for the reply:)

·
Administrator
73,982 Posts
IAll military carry Sigs there except spec ops...Beretta's are no where to be seen...I never saw one...ever.
The Beretta M9 remains standard-issue with ALL the branches of service. The SIG P228/M11 is available as a substitute standard, and of course the P226 is available to many specs ops. Very, very few of those are issued any kind of 1911, period. If all you saw were SIGs and 1911s you must be rubbing shoulders with a lot of contractors.

Fact is, only a small number of servicemen/women are issued handguns in the first place. If you need a weapon they'll try to give you an M4 before giving you an M9 or anything else.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.sigsauer.com/MilitaryFedGov/Overview.aspx

Don't see anywhere on there that they are supplying to the entire military. So I really don't know what you are seeing. Also, the Beretta is still the issued weapon.
Hey I have to agree with there, everything I have read has been the same thing that your link has posted...i just know what I see at the COB.
I don't mean to put anyone out, but I was curious on it to the point I thought I would ask.
I know we get a very high amount of sandstorms there, probably 15-20 more times than Baghdad has, maybe that has a reason for it. :confused:
What ever the reason is,.... it is, what it is.:)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The Beretta M9 remains standard-issue with ALL the branches of service. The SIG P228/M11 is available as a substitute standard, and of course the P226 is available to many specs ops. Very, very few of those are issued any kind of 1911, period. If all you saw were SIGs and 1911s you must be rubbing shoulders with a lot of contractors.

Fact is, only a small number of servicemen/women are issued handguns in the first place. If you need a weapon they'll try to give you an M4 before giving you an M9 or anything else.
Most officers and flight crew carry a pistol. I guess I see more of them then a lot of guys because I am part of a flight crew and fly to a lot of military bases all the time. No doubt about it, most enlisted carries an M4 and saw's around all day. :)
Who knows? It will go down as one of those unanswered questions I guess.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
I thought you saw thousands everyday, as part of a flight crew unless you are pulling out everyones service pistol I think you are mistaken. There are not enough sigs for you to be "seeing only sigs" as the m9 is still the weapon issued. Maybe with all the sandstorms you think they look like sigs, but are really Berettas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts