1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about stainless.

I have Kimber Stainless II and I've noticed that the frame especially, looks almost like its got crystal looking black speckles all over the frame. It's just not smooth stainless like it used to be.

I can't explain it. Anyone know what I'm trying to say? Cleaning it doesn't remove that either.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sounds like somebody used plain steel wool to polish/clean it. Bits get embedded and then rust. Iron steel wool is fine on plain steel, don't use it on wood or stainless because of the rust problem.

Scotchbrite is the best all-around abrasive.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Stainless is less, not none.

Salt from your hands (the Chloride ion) is hard even on the most corrosion resistant types of stainless steel.

A light coat of oil will help protect even a stainless gun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've never used any type of steel wool on the gun and I doubt Kimber did at the factory.

The only thing I've ever done to it was a CRAP TON of silicone spray maybe some WD-40 and a scotch bright pad.

I suppose it's possible that it is rust, it's my daily carry gun and I do not wear undershirts and it's handled a lot.

I do not coat the crap out of it with oil daily though, I handle it too much to let it be greasy oily all the time but I do clean it after I shoot it and wipe it down with silicone spray soaked rags etc.

Here you can kinda see it on the frame. The slides recently had some work done and its got holster smooth spots so its its missing there in the picture. It's mostly just the frame I'm having issues with but its everywhere, even places I don't touch much.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj3/roadblockxl/DSC061141024x768.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
You do not need a lot of oil, just enough of a film to prevent moisture from getting to the metal.

I use break free CLP on my carry guns, and they are blued steel. No rust in years.

Apply heavily, allow to sit a few minutes, wipe off any excess.
I only do it about once a week, even in summer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Call me crazy but I polish all my SS guns with Mothers Mag wax. It has a real mild abrasize that takes marks out and leaves a nice shiny finish.

A couple of benifits from it is it makes the gun easier to clean and you only have to do it every couple of months. After you do it 3 or 4 times you will notice a big difference.

I had some real hard marks to remove under my grips and it took them right out.

You have to buff it with a rag when your finish to make sure that it's all off. But I really think it's worth the effort.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts