1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1927 Colt, that is not in collectors shape, that I like to take to the range occasionally. Unfortunately, the sights are so tiny I can barely shoot it.
Wilson has already done a little work on it, but nothing major to the point it would test the steel quality.
Is the steel quality on this gun sufficient to allow some sight work? What about a refinish? Did Colt heat treat guns from the late 20s?

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
Colt began heat-treating the front of the slide in 1925, but these early slides still weren't up to the durability of those on today's pistols. You can still have mods done if the weapon is shooters-grade anyway, but be advised a lot of shooting will eventually manifest itself in wear, peening and/or cracks. Exactly how much constitutes "a lot" will depend on various factors, of course.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colt began heat-treating the front of the slide in 1925, but these early slides still weren't up to the durability of those on today's pistols. You can still have mods done if the weapon is shooters-grade anyway, but be advised a lot of shooting will eventually manifest itself in wear, peening and/or cracks. Exactly how much constitutes "a lot" will depend on various factors, of course.
Thank you sir. It won't be all that much to be honest with you. Maybe 100 rnds a month.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts