1911Forum banner

Question about walnut media

689 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  JeffC
I switched from corn cobb media to walnut media. After running a few batches of brass through the walnut I noticed a fine layer of red dust on the cases. Do I need to clean this dust off before I start loading the brass or can I just seperate the brass from the media and start loading?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
O2B
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,859 Posts
I haven't cleaned the red dust off my cases before I loaded them and haven't 'noticed' any problems due to that, except for the case holder gets a build up of the residue and needs a little tooth brush action from time to time.

Jeff

· Registered
1,109 Posts
If the residue is red, it is from an additive, not the walnut itself. I'd tumble a half a dozen used dryer sheets to remove it from the media and then use liquid car wax as an additive.

The use or clean question is more difficult... Tough to say from here what the additive is. The red color leads me to think jewelers rouge, a very fine abrasive. I would not worry about running a few hundred to a thousand of those through my dies, but would definitely get rid of it for long term use.

· Registered
323 Posts
Yes, it is a polishing agent, jewelers rouge, I use corn cob, but I feel this is one of those areas where it's a personal preferance more than anything, you might want to look in the phone book for someone who sells sandblasting supplys, you can get crushed walnut or corn cob, in #40-50 bags much cheaper than for what lyman sells their little jugs for, I use corn cob and some Midway polish as a polishing agent works very well and no red residue in,or on my brass for what you pay for a jug of Lyman tuffnut you could buy a #40-5- bag of media,add a bottle of midway polish, and you're set for for the next few years......

· Registered
3,859 Posts
Hey, those are great tips!

Now I want to go home and tumble more brass :D .

The drier sheets are perfect, I've got those things overflowing in my laundry room, and automotive polish sounds interesting, does it matter what brand, I've got more turtle wax than I'll ever use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.