1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a NRM Series 80 stainless Government Model that I will probably be sending to Ted Yost. I don't have enough money to do everything I want at this point, but I do want to have the pistol dehorned, mag well beveled, the hammer bobbed, extended thumb safety, and the ejection port flared and lowered before it's to be hard chromed.

My question is: can I add Novak sights at a later date without having to worry about messing up the chrome job? I would also like to have the front sight dovetailed. As I am typing this I think I have answered my own question. Probably better to not have to mill through the chrome plating huh? Maybe I will just need to save a little longer and get everything done at once. I also plan on getting rid of that long trigger and getting a trigger job. At some point I would also like to add a Kart barrel and bushing, but I have a good smith locally that can do that at a later date.

I saw the Ted Yost Delta Elte pictures that were recently posted and really enjoyed them. I also like the feel of a 1911 in my hand better without the beavertail. I do tend to grip the pistol very high, and get the "hammer bight".

Greg

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hi KimberDude,

You should talk this over with Ted, if he is going to build your gun. Since he will be responsible for the outcome of the work, he is in the best position to advise you. As a general rule of thumb, you want to have all of the work done, before you have any finishing work done. The logical way to short cut this is to do all the work to your frame assembly, then just finish that part. Later, when the funds are right, do all the work to the top end.

Another suggestion - if you're going to have Ted build this gun, have him fit the barrel. It is so easy to fit a 1911 barrel incorrectly and it'd be a shame to let somebody hack up a nice gun. Odds are, you wouldn't save any money, anyway.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice John,

I appreciate your input on this as well as a previous thread that you gave some advice on.
That's what makes this forum so great! You can get good advice from top quality Gunsmiths.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts