1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked out your website for the answer but it wasn't there.

I have a Colt Commercial Government model, serial #C 175XX (mfg 1915). On the trigger guard, on the left side of the frame, just forward of the mag release button, is stamped "R". The trigger guard has the "view proof" on the same side, in the usual position.

I checked out my Colt 1911A-1, military frame, serial # 780,XXX and it has the same "R" stamped into the trigger guard, on the left side, just above the "view proof". This frame has the correct "W.B." inspector's initials on that side in the usual spot and the "P" proof stamped into the frame just behind the mag release button.

I am curious about the "R" though. Are you familiar with this? Thanks in advance. NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DSK - sorry, I didn't mention in my last post, I really enjoyed the information in your website.

Since my last post, I field stripped the 1911. The same "R" is also found on the top of the frame, to the right of where the disconnector protrudes up (if you are looking down, with the 'business' end forward) Under this "R" is also stamped an "S". Removing the firing pin stop from the rear of the slide, this "S" is also stamped to the right of the firing pin hole.

A 'field strip' of the Colt 1911A-1 military frame, shows an "8" and an "O" in the same area, to the right of where the disconnector protrudes up. (I don't have the original slide for this frame - I use it with a Colt .22 Conversion Unit 1/2 time, and a Series '70 top end the other half). I had this frame refinished after I got it. It does have a "SA" stamp on it, on the right side, just underneath the "M1911A1 U.S. ARMY" stamping. I understand from that, it was at the "Springfield Armoury" at some point in it's life for some serious work.

Any info you have is greatly appreciated. NAA (lover of old Colt 1911's)

------------------

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
The R on your civilian 1911 most likely stands for Colt factory inspector Gabriel Rice, who inspected Colt pistols until around 1917 and used R as an inspection mark. Those marks are typically in the areas you mentioned.

The R on the M1911A1 frame is simply one of many inspection marks, and doesn't really designate anything to my knowledge. For example, my 1942 Colt has an 8 in that same area.

I'd like to profess in having some profound Divine knowledge on 1911s, but actually I just have da book.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
dsk your twin was here. And it says you don't have a profound knowledge of or divine experiences with 1911s

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DSK - thanks for the info. I, too, have some books on Colts (and 1911's) ie Hallock's; Hoffschmidt's etc but still enjoy learning more about them. Had a 1911 collection of about 21 pieces once, mostly Colt (sold most off 3 years ago - change in circumstances... but kept 2, and then added back the 1915 mfg Commercial recently). Hope to build it back again one day. Going to start by collecting the "attainables" again - ie Ithaca, Remington-Rand etc. Know where there is a near mint U.S. & S. 1911A-1, but the owner isn't quite ready to part with it. Got the 'fever' after buying my first Ithaca 1911A-1... loved them all ever since.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It's what makes this forum a great place to visit and swap stories. Best, NAA.

------------------

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
I just picked up yet another one, this time a commercial model from 1927. Damn, I sure wish they still made them this nice! Granted the new Colts are still well-built, but to see a finely polished piece of metal without a single hiccup or tooling mark is a sight to behold. Pictures to follow tomorrow.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by dsk:
I just picked up yet another one, this time a commercial model from 1927. Damn, I sure wish they still made them this nice! Granted the new Colts are still well-built, but to see a finely polished piece of metal without a single hiccup or tooling mark is a sight to behold. Pictures to follow tomorrow.
Yeah, but imagine how much they'd want to charge for all that hand-fitting?
(and people balk at the reproduction's 900+ mark :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts