1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kwill, DSK and the other colt experts:

What is the documented earliest serial number Colt 1911? Has SN: C1 been found in either a Museum or private collection? Or for that matter of SN: C1 to C1900 how many have been identified? I am just might curious of the original 1900 how many have survived the 91 years.

We know there were 1911's before the numbers above, have any of the Browning prototypes survived?

·
Administrator
73,440 Posts
Serial #1 is pictured in Goddard's book "The Government Models", so apparently it must still exist. In the picture the hammer and one or two other parts have been replaced with later components, but otherwise it's still bone-stock. I'm also aware of serial #9, although I don't know who its current owner is either. BTW this first batch of pistols were military models, not commercials.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
you mean those guns were worth something? I just tossed them out last week, figured that being they were the first ones built, they probably didn't have all the bugs worked out yet, besides, they all had a bit of bluing wear and one of the guns barrel throat was a bit eroded. Dang! I knew I should have checked first!:hrm:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts