1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is even possible, but I am curious and have to ask :confused: . Does anyone know if you can take a 4" pro carry slide and put it on a ultra frame thus giving you a working compact? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kinda what I figured. The question came about when a good friend and I were having a discussion regarding my next kimber purchase. I can't decide if I want a compact carry II or a pro raptor. Knowing I already have a Ultra Raptor my friend suggested I go with the Pro Raptor and if I wanted a compact I always could interchange the slide and frame. A long debated proceeded. I told him I didn't think it would work and he didn't see any reason why it couldn't be done. I kinda ended the debate by asking if it was illegal to do such a modification. That he didn't know nor did I. Anyway I couldn't help myself from wondering if that could be done with kimbers so I decided to post the question here knowing I would get some answers. Another thing I should mention is my good friend is a lover of all things Glock :barf:. So I guess in his world every part should be drop in and interchangeable hence the debate. Again thanks for the help and guidance.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
It is not illegal to change the slide. That said, good luck getting the slide to fit on both the original gun and second frame without modifying either piece in such a way that creates a sloppy fit in one or the other.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
I tried your experiment for you with the slide of a CDP Pro II and the frame of an Ultra CDP II. Not even within the realm of possibility - sorry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried your experiment for you with the slide of a CDP Pro II and the frame of an Ultra CDP II. Not even within the realm of possibility - sorry.
Thanks! I really appreciate you going out of your way and giving it a go. I was hoping perhaps someone had tried before and could provide some feedback from their experiment. I did not expect someone to try it for me. Wow that's pretty cool! Thanks again for the help. BTW between your Ultra and Pro which do you perfer?

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
You are welcome - it only took a couple of minutes to see that the differences in the Ultra frame vs. the Pro frame negated any possible interchangeablity. As to which I prefer - each gun has a purpose. I prefer them both for different uses. The Pro makes for a great carry gun in cold weather or when it can be concealed by an outer garment. The Ultra is easier to conceal and lighter, which makes it a better summer gun. As the slide length gets longer, there is a proportional decrease in the criticality of the timing of the action and tolerance for spring wear, so the Pro could be more reliable but only if you use the correct Wolff XP spring made for the gun. The stock Kimber spring is a Colt Officer's Model spring which is too short for the Pro. If you can only buy one, I vote for the 4" gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts