1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the dates were set to be June 9th & 10th. My wife and I are planning to attend, and we're trying to figure out the logistics and time off from work for ourselves and her mom (babysitter). Thinking about going down on the 8th and heading home the 11th.

If we drive, Google shows from my town to Berryville is about 13 hrs. So it could be longer with some stops.

We are considering flying, but are afraid of the airline losing the guns. Would we be able to ship the guns to Wilson and then have Wilson ship the guns back to us? We would use an FFL to cut down on shipping cost.

Never too early to start planning!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Although I don't speak for Wilson, I think your idea to ship your guns to Wilson is a good one. The first day, at least the last two times, starts out with a tour of Wilson Combat. You could get your guns then. You could drop them off in the morning after the range day, before the drive to the airport.

Fayetteville, Harrison, and Branson are all close by. Speaking as a pilot, Fayetteville is the biggest, newest, nicest, and best equipped airport of the 3. Wilson/Eureka Springs is about a 60 minute drive from Fayetteville. Little Rock is of course larger, and the drive from there would be about 2.5-3 hours. Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I just checked United, and flights from Columbia, SC to Fayetteville, AR are too bad. Actually a good bit cheaper than I expected.

What hotel did you guys stay at this last trip, and would you plan to stay there again for the next Bash?

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just checked United, and flights from Columbia, SC to Fayetteville, AR are too bad. Actually a good bit cheaper than I expected.

What hotel did you guys stay at this last trip, and would you plan to stay there again for the next Bash?
I will be working on a group rate for anyone wanting to stay at the hotel I've stayed at there. They offered to set it up, and I'll post that in a new Bash thread when we announce to sign-up registration. This is one of the details FBF and I are working on before posting the sign-up thread.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Shipping is not cheap, but may be worth the piece of mind with airlines.

Go UPS or FedEx insure (they only cover first $100) and be sure to do air, if not and something happens that is their out to no pay the claim.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shipping is not cheap, but may be worth the piece of mind with airlines.

Go UPS or FedEx insure (they only cover first $100) and be sure to do air, if not and something happens that is their out to no pay the claim.
Yeah, I've shipped guns myself, and it was quite expensive. Not being an FFL, I had to overnight then. When I've used an FFL to ship, it was a good bit less. The reason is went to ship them versus fly with them is so I could insure them. I'd be sick if the airline lost them. At least if they were shipped and lost, I could replace them if I insured them.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
The ONLY advantage in shipping flexibility a FFL has over anyone is their ability to ship a handgun by USPS, non FFL are not legally able to do this.

As far as UPS and FedEx, no advantage because of license same company POLICIES (must be shipped by air not ground ) apply but no difference legally.

Anyone can ship a handgun legally by ground by UPS, but if lost and file a claim, they most likely will balk.

As to a dealer shipping cheaper it is because USPS rates for this are cheaper.....then again do you trust the tracking, insurance and service of the USPS....I know my answer.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I've flown to 2 different continents and several countries with firearms. Haven't lost one yet.
The only people I know that do what your speaking of shoot away from home all the time. It is more about convenience to them than the fear of losing a firearm.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Actually, just remembered about a year ago-I went to a private shoot in the hill country of Texas. One of the competitors flew in from New York, he had shipped his 2 guns (total value 120k) to a FFL close to where we were staying. From what I can remember, the firearms were not labeled properly and the dealer would not release them. I believe his assistant mistakenly addressed the firearms to the dealer instead of to himself "in care of". The ATF got involved and it took the gentleman more than a month to get his guns back. He ended up shooting my gun, and not shooting well.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I don't know where G50 stayed. I stayed in the Express Inn along with FBF, Big Mike, and Fred. I'm not going to stay there again. Although I very much enjoyed hanging with the above mentioned folks, that hotel is mediocre at best. There's got to be a decent hotel in Eureka Springs.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Do you have to use your own guns?, or can you use guns that WC has?...Just wondering...

You can shoot Wilson's. They brought out a few and allowed people to fire them.

The bulk of the shooting is with your firearm.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After thinking about it more, I think there might be LESS of a chance of the guns getting lost with the airlines. With all the worries of terrorism, I can only imagine the $#!+storm that would occur if the media and government found out that an airline lost guns. So that might be the safest way.

When it comes to the hotel, we'd like to stay where others are staying. But at the same time, we're going to have to keep budget in mind. We will have just returned from a week in Disney with the kids only a few weeks before the Bash. I can only imagine how that place will damage the bank account. lol I haven't looked at hotel costs in Eureka Springs, so I really don't know what to expect.

How did you guys handle ammo? How many rounds did you guys shoot, or how many rounds do you suggest having? I'm thinking since traveling with ammo could be a problem, we'll probably have to pick up some in Arkansas.

Hopefully my Supergrade has been delivered by the time the Bash rolls around. Otherwise, I won't have a Wilson .45 to shoot. lol

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Ammo-Wilson Combat manufactures ammo. They have plenty for sale

·
Super Moderator
14,627 Posts
Actually, this is a great solution for having to travel and not wanting to take ammo with you. I don't remember the exact round count, but it was well under 400 rounds total.

L2R-
Brad, FBF, and a few others stayed at the Express Inn, I stayed at the Regency Inn across the street from them. Neither or these are near being 5-star hotels, but are well affordable and reasonably comfortable. Mine was about $300 for 4 nights (2 weekday nights and 2 weekend nights), and we can get that down if some of you all are interested in a group rate arrangement. My hotel had continental breakfast as complimentary, so lunch and dinner are on the attendee. One of the dinners is at the Ryan Wilson's at no cost to us, so there is some economy already in place. Anyway, some things to think about.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That was what I mentioned to the Mrs. She'll be shooting a 9mm, so might pick u some of that new ammo for her when we go down there. I'll probably either be shooting a .38S or a .45 if my Supergrade is here in time. So not sure which ammo I'll be shooting. Still have plenty of time for that, though.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, this is a great solution for having to travel and not wanting to take ammo with you. I don't remember the exact round count, but it was well under 400 rounds total.

L2R-
Brad, FBF, and a few others stayed at the Express Inn, I stayed at the Regency Inn across the street from them. Neither or these are near being 5-star hotels, but are well affordable and reasonably comfortable. Mine was about $300 for 4 nights (2 weekday nights and 2 weekend nights), and we can get that down if some of you all are interested in a group rate arrangement. My hotel had continental breakfast as complimentary, so lunch and dinner are on the attendee. One of the dinners is at the Ryan Wilson's at no cost to us, so there is some economy already in place. Anyway, some things to think about.
That price isn't too bad. We would certainly be interested in a group rate.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't know where G50 stayed. I stayed in the Express Inn along with FBF, Big Mike, and Fred. I'm not going to stay there again. Although I very much enjoyed hanging with the above mentioned folks, that hotel is mediocre at best. There's got to be a decent hotel in Eureka Springs.
I stayed at "The Lodge" and thought it was very nice for the money - rated #2 on Trip Advisor in fact (the first being a biker motel, haha). The rooms are actually decorated and have a real bedspread. Every room has a mini fridge and microwave. Also American owned! $58/night I believe plus a few dollars for taxes. The owners live on site and are very accommodating. It's also a little closer to the restaurants in Eureka Springs than some of the others. I'll probably return there next year.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I stayed at "The Lodge" and thought it was very nice for the money - rated #2 on Trip Advisor in fact (the first being a biker motel, haha). The rooms are actually decorated and have a real bedspread. Every room has a mini fridge and microwave. Also American owned! $58/night I believe plus a few dollars for taxes. The owners live on site and are very accommodating. It's also a little closer to the restaurants in Eureka Springs than some of the others. I'll probably return there next year.

I stayed there as well and agree with Quick

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I will return to the Express Inn. Very clean, nice linens, kick ass AC, plenty of hot water, microwave, fridge and plenty of ice. Brad is too used to staying in swank hotels on his flying jaunts.:rock:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts