1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question: I can buy a NIB 45acp SS LOADED full size Springfield with two cips for $590 out the door. Is this a good deal? I have never owned a Springfield before. Is this a decent accurate gun? It seems very tight slide to frame and the barrel is very tight in battery or lock up. Trigger is decent with no creep. Grips are wider (thicker) black with light grey swirls in them----they are either plastic or micarta---but look nice with the SS finish. I like the thicker feel to these grips too. The gun comes with lots of extras like mag well, extended slide release and large clip release button. Adjustable Bo-mar type sight. Videcki long target trigger. Target type Hammer and nice beavertail saftey. It also has the skate board tape on the front of the grip.....this is ok for my type of shooting till I want to get it checkered. So is the price ok and is this model known for any problems I should look for?
I compared this gun to a more expensive Kimber and a Dan Wesson about the same price. I really like the Springfield better. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The price you stated is an excellent buy for a NIB SS Loaded. But..... I could be wrong, I never heard of a factory pistol coming with skate board tape.

Springfield for the most part makes a good pistol. Most all companies have some problems with quality every now and again.

For the price and also getting two "magazines", I don't think you can go wrong. Just make sure it is indeed NIB.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a picture of a gun from Guns America. It looks just like the one I want to buy---but not the exact same one.
This one also has the non skid tape on it. As far as I can tell it is NIB----Dealer says brand new as well........If there is a pic on Guns America-----and my dealer has one----they must have made a batch of these with the grips and tape.... Just a guess on my part.

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
Come on guys, we need some more opinions.

I haven't seen stock Springfields with custom grips and skate board tape. But....what do I know.

Please help this gentlemen out.

Condo45,

No matter what, it's a good buy! Go for it.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
If that were a NIB stainless loaded, that would be a good price--I think the place I got my park'd sells them for $629. However, I have never seen a Loaded model like that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've never seen anything like that NIB, but it seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would be v e r y cautious if they're really claiming those are new, unused pistols.

That pistol photo you posted has an aftermarket magwell (looks like a wilson) and certainly the stocks are aftermarket as well- not to mention that they are not cut for the magwell.

No Springfield I have ever seen or heard of comes NIB with skateboard tape on the frontstrap or anywhere else.

Extended mag releases are a dubious item and don't come on stock loaded guns.

That magazine slam pad is NOT a Metalform (which all SA's normally come with) It's possibly a McCormick or Brown (these are identical to each other and the photo) or a Lone Star Ordnance made of hard urethane. Metalform slam pads are soft rubber.

As I said, I would be V E R Y cautious. This just does not look right.

Make sure you can send it back for a full refund if it isn't what they say it is.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys.
BTW, the picture I posted was copied from Guns America.....I was searching for prices on new SS Loaded guns and found that one... It looks identical to the one my dealer has. My dealer is not the shop selling the gun on net either---different states.
I will be going to the shop tommorrow and I plan on buying the gun. I examined it pretty close the other day and it is new in the box----it has a little residue from being test fired but everything else is sharp edges and no wear anywhere- everything is real tight too---the barrel looks new just like everything else. BTW, the dealer is a big mover of guns and he always has several different Kimbers, Dan Wessons and Springfields to choose from-----he always has over 50+ handguns in stock would be my guess. He does not have a big inventory of used guns and will only trade for hard to get or rare guns. I have bought several guns from him over the past few years and he is an honest guy and goes out of his way to make sure you are happy. As a matter of fact he cut me the extra good deal because I am a good customer and he knows I will be buying more....BUT---I will be very careful and check it out again----I will even have his part time gunsmith check it out... I did ask about the tape and he said he has seen it on a few of the loaded Springfields in the last few months. I also asked about the grips and he had not seen them before---but they aren't cheaply made at all...They are part of the reason I want the gun---feel great being thicker... Will let you know what happens

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the gun a week ago and did not have a chance to shoot it until today. After I got it home and took it all apart and cleaned and oiled it. Everything inside it looks new. The outside also looks as new. The dealer said I could return it if anything appeared wrong with it after I fired it a few times. This is a weird deal with all the extras on the gun. At the range today it fed everthing I loaded into it. Factory Ball, Factory HP's and lots of different handloads. Not one jam or failure. The trigger is crisp but a little heavy---5# pull I am guessing. Accuracy is outstanding at 20 yards off of sandbags, with three different groups (factory ball and HP) under 1.5"....just a nice little cluster of bullet holes. I am very happy with this gun, but it sure is a strange one. The dealer said he was going to check with the factory rep about it.
Thanks again for all the input and I am now a very happy Springfield owner :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Condo,

If you don't mind, would you keep us updated on how this turns out...whether the skateboard deal is a real factory thing? Also, would you mind PM'ing me on where you bought the pistol? If it turns out to be a genuine deal, you got a steal on the price! I searched for quite a few months and found a place in Daytona Beach to be the cheapest on my SA 9mm SS Loaded. I drove over there from Tampa.

Thanks!

Travis

·
Registered
189 Posts
You got it Lee! BTW...haven't I seen you on another message board (KTOG?)

Travis

·
Registered
186 Posts
That gun has me very intrigued. I can't imagine that coming straight from SA. It's been modified, I just don't know if they were the ones that did it. If it looks new and shoots well it sounds like you got yourself a hell of a deal. Enjoy:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have three SA Loadeds in different calibers and none
of them resemble this piece. Mine were all NIB and
have proved to be excellent and accurate shooters.

If the pistol suits you and you are happy with it, that's
all that matters. The price was very good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have the SS loaded and love it. Only problem is I have not yet had the sharp edges taken off. I have maybe 5K rounds through it and have about completly eaten up a fobus holster from the sharp front serations. I hate to break down and use a flie myself, so who can recommend someone to do a basic meltdown/softening on the slide for me?

Cheers.

bigtwinhog

1 - 15 of 15 Posts