1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to adjust the sear spring on my Gold Cup 80 according to Jack Weigand’s instructions on Brownell’s web site. I have the middle leg of the sear spring adjusted to give the proper pull weight with only the disconnector installed. When I install the sear I am not sure how far the trigger is to be pulled to take a weight measurement. I am going for the 3 ½ lb. pull specs of 16 oz. on the middle leg and 32 oz. on the left leg.
“Next, add in the sear to the limited assembly. Again, measure the spring pressure with the Trigger Pull Gauge. We now need a total of 16 oz. of spring pressure with both the disconnector and sear legs of the sear spring engaged.”
From this I take it that I pull the trigger till the disconnector spring leg moves and then pull more till the sear leg begins to move. This is the first time I have adjusted a sear spring and I do not want to be making more than one or two adjustment bends to the spring legs.
Thanks,
Stu

·
Registered
815 Posts
Stu,

Sounds like you are doing it right. Set both spring legs when they just start to move, is how I have been doing it. I would not worry to much about bending the spring only on or two times. As many times as it takes will be fine with no harm done to the spring. But I can see why you want to keep it to the very minimum number of bends. I like the Colt Sear spring ( reduced power). Once you get it set were you like it, trace or photo copy the profile on a piece of paper so you can use this as a baseline next time.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm such a computer illiterate I couldn't find the mentioned instructions.
Just going from your post for info.

As you know, with the hammer installed, the sear loads the spring a bit.
And a bit more in the cocked position.

You might install the hammer, with the strut flopping out the back, then check pull weight . Check in both positions to see what the increase in ounces is.

Without mainspring pressure the hammer is just a location device.

Regards, :)
Kur

·
Registered
463 Posts
I guess I've been doing it wrong all this time. I have always set the reset to the target weight using pre travel and then just put the rest of the weight on the sear???

The way mentioned above seems more involved and I'm wondering what I'm missing by doing this?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm such a computer illiterate I couldn't find the mentioned instructions.
Kur
Here is the link to Jack Weigand’s 2 ½ Trigger Pull instructions.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10297/guntechdetail/2___lb__Trigger_Pull
He uses 8 oz. on the disconnector leg and 16 oz. on the sear leg to achieve a 2 ½ pound trigger pull. Near the end of the article he states that for a 3 ½ pound trigger pull to use 16 oz. on the disconnector leg and 32 oz. on the sear leg, which I am trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Thanks for the link, appreciate that.
It does look like you are doing fine with your work.:)

Kur

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think what the article says is that he uses 8 oz on the disconnector,and another 8 oz on the sear.

For the 3.5lb trigger,he means 16 oz on the disconnector,and another 16 oz for the sear,which would be 32oz total.

When testing the trigger pull with the gauge,the first reading is the disconnect only.Further pull of the trigger would be the sear and the disconnect together.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some fine tuning I have a trigger pull of 15 oz. with .010” movement of the disconnector spring leg and 33 oz. with .010” movement of the sear spring leg. After reassemble trigger pull was 3 ¾ lb. The only part that is not stock is a Nowlin Pro Match sear.

Thanks to those of you that gave me some input…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts