1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a holster for my 92FS Brigadier; somehow most of them don’t fit – Fobus or Uncle Mike’s, just to name a few. I am looking for either hard case or nylon – not leather (too expensive). :mummy:

On the other hand, during the weekend I joined the IPDA and found that most of the shooters are using 17 round Glock (pre-ban or not). The guy told me that we can carry anything we wants, including a 30 rounder (just like the one in the movie Matrix). :biglaugh:

So, what’s the law on this? Since we are on private land, I guess that’s cool… but can I ask my friend to purchase the high cap mag (not in CA) and send back to me? Can I claim that it is from pre-ban time (I think I am breaking the law on this)?? Would you be able to tell – by serial number or something like that?? :scratch:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Private land or not, you are breaking the law by bringing pre-ban mags into Caifornia after 1994...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummper... I thought so... :mummy:

On the other hand, anyone can help with the holster?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
P7 said:
Private land or not, you are breaking the law by bringing pre-ban mags into Caifornia after 1994...

This is correct as I understand it. You will be breaking another one of those un-enforceable law's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally Posted by P7
Well the illegal part is bringing >10 round mags into CA that you did not legally possess in the state prior to Jan 1, 2000. As a practical matter, if you were in legal possession before 2000, the mags were necessarily manufactured before the Sept 1994 federal ban (unless an LEO/military exception applies). Note, if you bought pre-94 mags in CA after 1994 but before 2000, you're fine.

As for pretending new mags are legally-owned prebans, some >10 round mags have obvious differences between pre-94 and post-04 versions. Mags with less obvious differences can probably be identified as well, given enough scrutiny and resources. Your local LEO might not notice the difference at the range or during a traffic stop, but if you're ever in a self-defense situaion, do you really want to gamble that nobody will take a closer look at your mags?

Webster

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You cannot buy/sell, give, trade or otherwise allow for the exchange of any kind of normal capacity magazines in Kalifornia. OTOH if you found one just laying on the street it's perfectly legal to take it home. Just make sure it's not marked Law Enforcement only. I know. Stupid, uneforceable law.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You will need a holster specifically designed for the Brigadier slide. It is a little different from the std. 92 slide. The slide is supposedly beefed up among other things.

I know that comp-tac makes kydex holsters for the Brigadier models. I have one of their paddle holsters for a glock and really like it.

The cost of kydex is about 2x that of the fobus and uncle mike's injection molded plastic holsters.

Blade Tech and Sidearmor are two other kydex holster manufacturers worth looking at too.

I thought IDPA only allowed magazines loaded to 10 rds.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ditto that! Blade tech has an injection mold holster on the market now that may help you out. Just my opinion, why put an $800 gun in a $20 holster?:scratch:

·
Registered
172 Posts
AS for the holster. I use a Wilson Combat Tactical Assault holster for my Elite II without any diffculties. It presents quickly and is made of pebbled Kydex with a suede liner.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys... so -

1. I need to look for a high cap mag on the street - therefore I can leagally use them. :cool:
2. Will check out the other holster that you recommend.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts