1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys as you can tell by the nick I’m pretty new around here. I should be picking up my Kimber Pro Tactical II tomorrow. I did a search and found a lot of old posts about the Mepro sights from Kimber are they still a problem? Where they replaced by Kimber? Should I consider trading them out for some Trijicons?

Thanks for any replies!!
Steve

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've never had a problem with Kimber's tritium sights per se (Kimber owns Meprolite), the only problem I've ever had was trying to remove them or move them for adjustment... now that is usually pretty hard.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a Eclipse Pro II, with the meprolite sights, never had any problem with the sights at all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i've had several sets of mepros on glocks. no problems and great service. i read the bad posts on here about the mepros for the kimbers and decided to go with heinie straight eights. easy install on my compact and great sight picture. thinking about replacing my factory adjustables on my custom target with heinies.

i can say that after 10 years of three dot mepro nite sites on duty glocks, i like the straight eight set up better. easier to aquire and less of a screw up factor. a shame that i can't replace my duty weapon's sights with heinies.

dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info from all of you, I really appreciate it, I have trijicons on my Glock 27 and love em, but the white paint around the lamps are pretty useless IMHO. Hoping the Mepros are better! Thanks again for all the great answers and advice! I was so excited about my purchase till I found this forum, but I got over it, its just like a car sometimes you just get a bad one, Hopefully I don’t!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
KimberNewb,

I bought my Tac Pro II in April. In May the rear night sight went kind of pinkish, and dimmed. I contacted Kimber by e-mail (they distribute Mepros) and the customer service guy form Mepro send a call tag for UPS to pick up the slide and they replace the sight and sent it back, no charge.

·
Premium Member
20,363 Posts
Shucks Homer, I didn't get a call tag when mine went out!
Newb...Stick with the free ones. If they burn out, they'll replace them. I think they got the bugs worked out of the early batch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
AZ,

It didn't cost anything, but the Mepro guy left town and the slide sat there for a week before they started on it, then he shipped it back by UPS ground service. It took almost three weeks before I could shoot the gun. It was my first 1911 and I was anxious to get it back.

Since, then I try to deal with Dennis. I know you have had some issues with Dennis, but everytime I have called or e-mailed him, he has responded very quickly, usually less than 24 hr.

·
Registered
146 Posts
my front site died out twice on my Gold Combat. just had to send it in to have them take care of it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, good advice, no sense in replacing it especially if they will fix if for free. Hopefully it wont be a problem! Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had trijicons on a Beretta that were excellent. On my HK usp .45 are what I believe to be Mepro's. They are three years old, however they are of the orange and green combo, which has a shorter half life than all green. The sights have faded a lot and I think are to the point of needing to be replaced,however, it is my issued duty weapon, so we will see. That said, the Mepro's on my TLE are the brightest of the bunch and I am very pleased with them.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had my Eclipse Pro Carry about a year when the front sight went out. Called Dennis and he told me to send him the slide. I sent him the slide on a Friday. Dennis replaced the front and rear night sights and had it back to me by Wednesday. That's a 5 day turn around. The new rear sight is curved a little more than the original one was and actually looks better. Oh yea no charge.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had my Eclipse Pro II for about a year and the front sight is pretty dim. I'll have to send it in. How do you guys contact the guy at Kimber?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Send an email to: [email protected]

I sent the slide from my bought used Royal Carry, which I think is about 6 yrs old and the night sights were dead.
I sent it in last Thursday, got it back today. They replaced both sights, and they both look great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts