1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys, I hope you can help me with this question.I have seen some posts here in reference to changing out bbl on a 38 super model 1911 and putting in a 9mm bbl.I have a Series 70 Commander in 9mm and was wondering if with the proper parts what would be involved in using the rest of gun for the 38 super?Thanks in advance for any replies. George JR.

· Registered
233 Posts
No real problem at all. Just get a 38 Super barrel, bushing and magazine and go for it. Ejector, extractor and slide are all the same. Colt even made some Series 80 Governments with a combo barrel included.

· Registered
1,168 Posts
The 9mm ejector is a little long for the super. You can just cut it back a bit at the same angle and it will work for both. You'll also need 38 super mags. Beware of older 38 super barrels, they headspace on the rim and are not as accurate as the newer barrels that headspace on the mouth.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Info! I guess Im gonna go for it here soon.I guess to maybey answer Rangers question,for my own interests it is the appeal of being able to experiment with another cal. and have some fun.I know there are some challenges to getting the 38 sup. to perform including maybey hand loading and really getting your gun set up well.I guess I just like to tinker and see how much performance I can get.I had a series 80 in 38 sup. about 12 years ago and really enjoyed shooting it. Have Fun, Sincerly George JR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.