1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question I’d like to pose with respect to the STI Trojan in 9MM.

I shoot a SA TRP in .45 cal. My wife wants to start shooting with me, and she also prefers the 1911 frame – but she wants to shoot a 9MM. We looked at a number of models and she had pretty much settled on the STI Trojan in 9MM. She really liked the gun, and with the slim grips it fits her well. The plan is/was to get her one next month.

About a week ago I was talking to the owner of a large firearms store back East about some other items I wanted, and while I had him on the phone I asked him about the STI Trojan in 9MM. He told me he would not recommend it. He said that the STI in .45 was a fantastic firearm and he’d recommend it to anyone, but not the STI in 9MM. He didn’t want to say anything else because he is an STI dealer.

I’ve looked all over the internet and I can’t find anything that indicates a serious problem with these guns. It would seem to me that if any one type of gun was having that much trouble there would be comments on all the gun forums about it. The only thing I’ve been able to find is a few remarks indicating that some of the STI 9MM were going to “lock” while there were still rounds in the magazine. It didn’t seem like a big deal, but I don't know if there were other issues or not. :confused:

I don’t want anybody to “bash” STI in any way. Lets not go there on the forum. All I’m asking is that if you have an STI Trojan in 9MM and you ARE happy with it – please post a response telling me how many rounds you have through it and why you like it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The STI Trojan 9mm is an excellent 9mm 1911. It was my first. I did sell it after I got my Les Baer PII 9mm and my WC CQB Elite 9mm. But the Trojan 9mm is used by several people at my pistol club in Dallas and they all swear by them, including a Plano SWAT member that regularly spanks me in our matches. :)

All of us purchased them from Dawson Precision here in Texas and we all got the Dawson Precision fibre optic sight up front.

Disclosure, some of us did have issues with feeding or extraction but STI remedied them quickly. Some were extractor problems and one was an ejector that came off. Magazines are also a critical part of a well running 9mm 1911. So you may have to try different ones to find the ones that work right. Most people are using the Tripp/Cobra or the WC ETM 9mm mags successfully. The finish is also one weak point on the Trojan, it does wear heavily with use, but as my friends say - it gives it character.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I can speak for mine. Function has been 100% from day one with 115 gr. FMJ 9mm good to top quality ammo. Mag wise, mine has worked without a hitch with the the mag it came and with my Springer 9mm mags. I also have the fiber optic front.

Accuracy wise.............

.............enough said.

Finish wise? It does wear more than others I own.

Overall, one happy STI owner here.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have 5,790 rounds of cast bullet reloads through my 9mm Trojan and it's my steel plate gun. Very accurate, fast and comfortable to shoot. The only problem I had was some FTF problems due to an experiment with a different lube in cold weather. As long as I stick with WeaponShield, my Trojan will function 100% with my reduced loads in winter.

The blue doesn't wear as well as other finishes but, as this is a range gun and I kind of like the "patina" of a worn, blued gun, it's no big deal to me. I've thought about having this gun chrome plated (brushed finish.)o

I took the pistol out this am after letting it cold soak in the garage overnight and fired 57 rounds through it at 7 yards, practicing plate shooting. I also did some slow fire and shot an OH 7 round group of .515". Not bad for an old guy with a load of coffee in him. It was 25 degrees with a slight wind or, as we say around here, just about spring:biglaugh:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Trojan 9mm, about 5k plus, shooting steel matches. Basically here's the deal- it's the best 1911 I've ever owned. 100% reliable from the time I pulled it out of the box, cleaned it and shot it. I've been shooting it "dry" using Gunzilla CLP, which is even more of an endorsement of the gun and lube.

This gun is the most accurate, most reliable, and most comfortable/ergonomic firearm I've owned. I added the Esmeralda grips (slim) and the short trigger.

Buy an STI Trojan in 9mm and don't look back.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Over 20,000rnds through my 9mm Trojan. It has been problem free since day one. Buy one and laugh at the dealer who gave you bad advice.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I sincerely appreciate this, and I'm going to take your advice. I'll be picking the gun up on the weekend.

I SINCERELY do offer my thanks to you chaps who have bothered to submit comments. Very good of you.

So - we are looking forward to our newest "baby", the STI Trojan in 9 MM!

Thanks guys - really! I appreciate tit.

·
Registered
24,381 Posts
They are nice looking guns.

I have never owned one. However I am looking at a nice 9mm for a car gun for the wife. ( This is my story and I am sticking to it!) How much do they go for?

Keep your powder dry. :rock:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good luck with your purchase. Mine just came in today from Brazos. I am impressed. I cannot wait until I get to shoot it. I also ordered a Ranger II in 9mm. They both look and feel fantastic.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I purchased one in 9mm about a month ago from Brazos. Had them do there reliability package on it. It is a joy to shoot and feeds any bullet type I feed it includeing semi wadcutter cast bullets. I love it so far.
I also think it would make an excellent gun for a female who has less upper body strength as the slide is very easy to pull back etc.:rock:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good luck with your purchase. Mine just came in today from Brazos. I am impressed. I cannot wait until I get to shoot it. I also ordered a Ranger II in 9mm. They both look and feel fantastic.
Please post your opinion of the 9mm Ranger II when you get it. I have been debating for some time now but just cant decide (if I really must have a classic series 70 commander).

·
Registered
514 Posts
I purchased one in 9mm about a month ago from Brazos. Had them do there reliability package on it. It is a joy to shoot and feeds any bullet type I feed it includeing semi wadcutter cast bullets. I love it so far.
I also think it would make an excellent gun for a female who has less upper body strength as the slide is very easy to pull back etc.:rock:
If I go for the Ranger II I would get the reliability pkg also - hope it is worth it. Can anyone here compare, firsthand, the difference in an STI with and without it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's the "Reliability Package". I mean, I know more or less what it must be, but can you specify what they do? I will not be able to get that through the dealer who is bringing in the gun (Trojan 9MM), but I do know a few good gunsmiths who could likely do the work - if I know what it is?

It's already been suggested that I get Wilson magazines for it. Anything else that comes to mind?

·
Registered
440 Posts
What's the "Reliability Package". I mean, I know more or less what it must be, but can you specify what they do? I will not be able to get that through the dealer who is bringing in the gun (Trojan 9MM), but I do know a few good gunsmiths who could likely do the work - if I know what it is?

It's already been suggested that I get Wilson magazines for it. Anything else that comes to mind?
I chose not to go the "reliability package" route. STI has a good reputation on build quality and customer service and I figured that if it didn't work, I'd send it back for warranty work. I didn't see any sense in "fixing something that wasn't broken" and spending extra money for something that might not be needed.

It's amazing the number of people who "fix" their pistols before they even fire a shot.:confused: There are a lot of "what can I do to enhance reliability" questions and the response is generally, "what's the problem?" and the answer is, "no problem, I haven't shot it yet, I just want to make sure it's 100%."

It also seems no one is satisfied with the mags that come with the pistol. I've had a couple of Springfield's and own a STI Trojan, D.W. CBOB and a Kimber Ultra Carry. All of the factory mags have worked 100% in the guns they came with and the Springfield 45 mags work in the Kimber and CBOB and the CBOB mags works in the Kimber. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I did have a problem with the factory Trojan mag feeding cast bullet reloads when used with the Lee 105gr SWC lead bullets. The mag works 100% with the Lee 124gr RN cast bullet. The 105's work 100% with the three Springfield 9mm mags I bought. Same manufacturer, I believe, but a different design.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You can see what is included in the RP on the Brazos web site.
I agree dont fix it if it's not broken, but thought the included trigger job might be worth it. That's why I ask.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had the RP done on my Trojan but not my Ranger. I intend to use it in IDPA. However for me it was more the idea that this is my first gun that has any kind of custom work.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had the RP done on my Trojan but not my Ranger. I intend to use it in IDPA. However for me it was more the idea that this is my first gun that has any kind of custom work.
So, how noticeable is the difference? Trigger in particular.
Is it worth the price?

·
Registered
95 Posts
So, how noticeable is the difference? Trigger in particular.
Is it worth the price?
Looking at Brazos site, it looks like a fair deal. I did my own trigger work and I also sensitized the grip saftey, and it improved the gun in my opinion. BUT, the gun worked fine out of the box and had a great trigger. So don't think the Trojan needs help right out of the box.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am not sure if it was worth it because I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I will say there is a ton of difference in the trigger of the Trojan and the stock Ranger II.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts