1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot on here how a tight barrel-bushing fit is important. My question is how tight is tight enough? I did a search and couldn't find the answer to my question.

I have a SA loaded stainless, and when the recoil spring is compressed the bushing rotates easily around the barrel to be removed and also comes out easily. Additionally, when fully assembled and with the slide closed, the barrel can be moved VERY slightly. It was enough to make the oil from the oustside of the barrel be pushed up to the edge of the bushing.

Is my bushing too loose? Should I get an aftermarket replacement or have it sent to springfield? Thanks in advance.

-Patrick

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I think you will get a lot of different views on how tight things need to be and whether you should replace certain factory parts or not.

Is there a reason you are concerned with the bushing fit? Did you just notice it was loose when you were cleaning the firearm, or were you having trouble getting consistent, repeatable groups at a specified distance, and thought it might be a loose bushing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good questions! Well, I guess it's fair to say that I haven't been getting the greatest groups consistently, sometimes even at short ranges. I have 600-800rds through it. They have improved some, which leads me to think that it might just be that I need more practice with this pistol. I do have concerns about the barrel affecting the accuracy, I posted pics of it in another thread.

Here's a pic(large) of a target from a while ago:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/connolpm/P1010104alt.jpg
The "other 1911" near the bullseye is somebody else's modfied Charles Daly that I shot.

As for the bushing, I just noticed the slight bit of barrel play and how easy it was to remove the other night and it occurred to me to ask to see if it was way out of spec. If it is me causing the spread in the groups I would like to be able to guage my performance knowing that there aren't any glaring mechanical issues that could also be affecting my groups. Does that make any sense? :confused: Thanks again.

-Patrick

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
A bushing is a fairly inexpensive part, and you should be able to find one that is a drop-in fit, or close to drop-in, but still tighter than the stock bushing. Measure the OD of the barrel muzzle, and the ID of the slide bore, and see if Brownells doesn't sell a bushing that's within .001"-.002" of those dimensions.
I installed an EGW angle-bore bushing in my Mil-Spec, and it made the gun both more accurate and smoother cycling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts