1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone...

Brand new to the board. Have a quick question re: my new Kimber Custom TLE/RL II. I have put about 500-600 rounds through my new gun and have only noticed one malfunction. Once in a blue moon the final round in the magazine will jam midway while being chambered. What causes this and how can I fix it?

BTW, this only happens with the last round in the mag...never mid mag.

It has happened with multiple mags as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

FastYellow

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fast Yellow,
I have the same problem. My FTF is like a stove pipe jam but with an unfired round. Like you, it is always the very last round. Please keep me posted if you find a cure that works for you. I think it may be that my extractor may be applying a little too much pressure on the rim of the cartridge preventing it from slipping into place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
CCV,
I have adjusted the extractor, but I have not tested it yet. It will probably be several days before i get the chance. I just wanted to see if there was anything elese I should try before I take it to the range. I will post my results when I finally get to try it out. The range is an hour away!!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
There is a thread on the other 1911 forum about last round FTF. It claims that the dimple on the follower of original mags was there to prevent the pistol from recoiling out from under the last round and allowing it to get ahead of the extractor. Even when this happens, most of the time the extractor will jump over the rim and you'll never know the difference, but eventually it will break the extractor tip. Stronger mag springs in mags that have synthetic followers would help,but would only mask the problem. The upper rounds slightly engage the lower rounds rim and spring tension is greater.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
werra said:
Fast Yellow,
I have the same problem. My FTF is like a stove pipe jam but with an unfired round. Like you, it is always the very last round. Please keep me posted if you find a cure that works for you. I think it may be that my extractor may be applying a little too much pressure on the rim of the cartridge preventing it from slipping into place.
Your problem is most likely not your extractor. Stronger magazine springs may help out or using magazines with the bump on the follower. When the gun recoils up and back the last round tries to remain at rest so when the gun recoils up, the magazine spring is compressed and the round jumps the feed lips of the magazine without being picked up by the slide. Several things come into play, Magazine springs and followers, recoil springs timing the slide, and your grip. While changing springs or magazines can help, your grip can make a huge difference. Try holding the gun tightly and try to keep it from recoiling up and see if you can make it happen by just loading a few rounds in your magazines and see if you can get it to malfunction with a really good grip. I'll bet it works much better with a good grip. If it still malfunctions with a firm grip, try another magazine first and then a recoil spring if you still have trouble. That little bump on the follower on GI mags is there to keep the last round from jumping the feed lips.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for your insightful replies. I will try my original type mags as you stated. BTW, the mags I was using were Metalform round top 7 rounders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts