1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came upon an unusual pistol yesterday... at least for me, that is.

Hidden away in the trunk of an attic was a pistol that just surfaced within a friend's family.

It is a Colt 1911 (not an A1 but 1911). The serial number 320000 places it as 1 of 347000 manufactured by Colt within the year 1918.

It has a flat and smooth mainspring housing which has turned a brownish patena. (Don't believe I'm familiar with this style. I'm familiar with the flat or arched, but either checkered or ribbed).

The blued finish is all but gone and it was covered in surface rust that was easily removed using oil and 0000 steel wool. The metal surface is good with no serious pitting. The serial number is sharp and clear on the right side of the frame (the only marking I saw on the frame's exterior).

The original Colt .45ACP slide and all its parts have yet to be found. In place of the aforementioned is an early model Colt .22 conversion unit with a brite blue finish (some minor blemishes) in generally good condition for its age.

All parts appear to be original and this is not thought to be a "parts gun".

I realize a picture is worth 1,000 words and that seeing is even better than that. Given what I have typed above, would anyone who is knowledgeable of the Colt 1911 care to venture a guess as to what he/she feels a reasonable value is of this pistol?

Thanks in advance for whatever information you might provide.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,286 Posts
The frame does not indicate that it is government property (left side of frame)? If the property mark has been ground off, and you can't come up with the top-end parts, then what you have is a defaced M1911 frame with a Conversion Unit. Conversions are going for $300-$400 or more, depending on vintage and condition, so your gun might be worth $400 or so, as a shooter.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick: There are no other markings other than the serial number. I have a 1911A1 that has the US government marking, but they are on the right side of the frame (near the reverse side of the slide stop. The dimple). Doesn't appear to be any grinding or filing off on this frame.

Thanks for your thoughts they certainly are appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts