1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace the stock trigger on my SA mil-spec. My main reason is to get a longer trigger to fit my grip better and also to lighten the pull to around 4 pounds.

I talked to the only local gunsmith and he seemed very questionable as to his experience working with 1911. He has no 1911 parts in stock, so I would have to provide them. He said that he hasn't worked on a 1911 in several years and just didn't install a lot of confidence in me during our conversation. The gun store he works out of has been around for a long time, but I just don't know how much experience the gunsmith has in general and especially with 1911s.

My question is should I have him work on my gun and risk getting a half ass job or just pass? Is installing a new trigger and lightening the pull a relative easy thing to do and doesn't require a lot of skill? Is it so easy I might attempt it myself after research it?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you don't have confidence in him now, what makes you think you will once he starts working on your gun? Not trying to flame, but I think you may have answered your own question. One thought - maybe you could find out about any other folks who have had him do work for them and see what they think. Ask him for those customer references, then check 'em out.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
What you want done isn't hard,but needs to be done by someone who will adjust the right part and not play with everything as a guessing game.Some polishing and spring adjustment should get you 4lbs,but it might take more.Fitting a trigger is easy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wouldn't let that guy work on my gun. At least he was up front with you about his 1911 experience, that's commendable. I'd do some research and find out if there was a 1911 smitty within 60 miles or so from home.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Pass!

You can get a drop in trigger kit from Nowlin or others - just put it in. Easy to do if you're comfortable with a detail strip.

Fitting a trigger is easy to do if you have mechanical skills and take your time.

Otherwise spend a couple of bucks on UPS and send it to someone who does a lot of work.

Actions by "T" in Houston has a good reputation but Teddy can be uh....opinionated. Some love him and some hate him. I haven't had work done by him but I've never seen anyone complain about his work, and I've heard many rave about his action jobs.

There are plenty of folks who are capable to doing what you want. Do a search here or pistolsmith.com.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you live in Lubbock you might have to widen your search to about 500 miles. Not too much out there, or at least there wasn't when I lived around those parts... Good luck.

I would second the option of shipping it out. Sure it'll be gone a while, but at least you're assured of a first rate job.

------------------
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, " How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Stormy:
I'd like to replace the stock trigger on my SA mil-spec. My main reason is to get a longer trigger to fit my grip better and also to lighten the pull to around 4 pounds.
Surprisingly, this is something you can attempt, if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, understand how to detail strip a 1911, and willing to invest in some parts.

I would wholeheartedly recommend purchasing a Burns Custom Ignition System (~$130) and if you'd like, something like a Wilson Ultralight, or Videcki trigger.

The Trigger will require some work to fit it, but working slowly, and with assistance from the Forum here, you can do this will a good file, and Emory Cloth (various grades).

The Iginition system is essentially a Drop-In, and you may need to adjust the tension on the Sear finger of your leaf spring, but that's about it.

You can even get a new leaf, and leave you current one intact, so that you can switch back to your original parts, in the event you wish to back-out.

Just something to consider...

Good Luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stormy,

Try this out.
Just make the 2 hour drive to Odessa, TX and have Bob Miller do the work. 1911s are his specialty. He has done work on my 1991 and did a very good job on my trigger.

here is his information:

Bob Miller
Action Sports of Texas
915-563-4867

------------------
"KNEES IN THE BREEZE"

·
Registered
474 Posts
My advice would be to go to several of the gunshops in town and ask about gunsmiths. Most shops can direct you toward the good gunsmiths and inform you of the ones to avoid. Also try this at ranges and shoots you frequent, alot of quality information can be had there.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts