1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first .45(a Ballester Molina).I was looking at Sistema Colt Modelo
1927s and pricing .45s in this cost catagory
when I ran across a great deal on this Ballester.It is in great shape cosmeticly and mechanicly.It has around 98% of the original finish(blued)with only a little holster wear
on the sharp edges around the muzzle.The bore
looks to be 90%+ condition.I test fired it today and it functioned flawlessly through one magazine full of PMC 230gr,fmj ammo.It seemed to be very accurate although I will have to do more extensive accuracy testing when I'm not shivering from the cold wind at my back.For just $212 shipped to my door with two extra magazines I think I got a great deal on a nice .45(I hold a class 03 collectors FFL).
I don't see an import stamp anywhere on the pistol nor do I see a date of manufacture.
I don't know much history on the Ballester Molina other than the last year of manufacture was 1945.These were supposedly made from fine Swedish steel,and many parts (although not all)are interchangable with the Springfeild 1911s.
Does anyone know a place online I can find more information on the history and design of my pistol and/or Argentine handguns in general?
How do you think the Ballester Molinas stack up against other vintage 1911 style pistols?
Thanks,
Kevin

------------------
Kevlar

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got a nice Ballester-Molina with a serial # just over 1000. This pistol has created in me a *bug* to collect all the Argentine versions of the 1911. Next will be a Hartford, as I believe they will dry up first, then a Sistema...then I have to look at the different branches, Army, Navy, Air Force and police...

And so it goes....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys
I checked out the links.Great stuff.
SandersB,I know what you mean about wanting to collect the whole Argentine .45 line.I've only had a Ballester for a couple days but I was so impressed with what I got for the money I just have to have more.I have to stop,take a deep breath,and lock the gun cabinets before I start selling off small branches of the rifle collection to by more Argie pistols(LOL)!
My Ballester Molina has a serial# in the 23000 range.1944-1945 I guess.
Thanks for the help,
Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts