1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am the General Foreman of Handguns at Colt. I met a lot of great people at the Shot Show last week. Col.Colt hooked me up with this sight, If I can be of any help answering questions feel free to ask.

Just to clarify things a bit guys, I joined this sight because I am a fan of the 1911, in no way should anyone consider me a spokesman for the company. I make guns not policy, all I am trying to do is spread the word.

Mark
In regards on ordering the new 1911 people have to get there local dealers to hound the distributors, as of this mornings I didn't see any orders in the system..........
[This message has been edited by Mark655 (edited 01-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mark655 (edited 01-24-2001).]

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll throw out one of the recurring questions-

Can you tell us something about how the manufacturing process has changed in the past few decades (such as by serial numbers/models). Folks have suggested there was a change from old tooling to CNC machines in the past few years which really improved quality. It has been suggested that a change in feed ramp throating went along with that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, most of the machines have been changed to CNC, there are still some older broach machines and filers still in operation. The feed ramp is polished after machining in the assembly line, there has also been a change in the ramped area of the barrel that allow for better feeding of hollow point ammo. Recently, we changed to putting all stainless steel narrow hood barrels in 99% of the guns. The only two guns left in production with Carbon barrels are the carbon National Match and the new 1911A1 introduced at the shot show.

J

·
0 Posts
Mark,

Will a 10mm barrel work in a 1991A1 9mm/38 super slide? Without measuring, it appeared that they both use the same cut for the barrel hood and a .40 caliber case fit in the breechface.

Also, how do I get a job at Colt. Would like to be a factory rep in the Southeastern US.

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the surface it will most likely fit, I have been with Colt for 3 years and we stopped making 10mm prior to me getting there. One thing to note is that there are three things different that will effect function, the ejector, the extractor and the bbl bushing. I would suggest a gunsmith check it out for you, just to be on the safe side.

J

·
0 Posts
If it will fit, then I can make it work. Just wanted to be sure before I ordered parts. I am attempting to make a 10mm, 9mm, 9x23 combo gun as my next project. Kinda bored with just shooting all of the time.

Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mark,

Welcome to the forum! You said in the Colt Barrel thread that Brownells was back ordered on barrels. How about on slides? I'm looking for a slide with a .40 cal breach face. I'd like to get a slide like the one that came on the Delta 10mm, not the Delta Elite. Brownells only lists the Delta Elite slide assemblies. Does Colt have any available?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,220 Posts
A real, honest-to-goodness Colt rep on the site? Woo hoo! Tell us about the new M1911A1. Is it a Custom Shop model, or will it replace the '91A1, or what? Sometimes I have a twinge af guilt over having modified my original '11A1, so a new one might make me feel better.

Reactions: Retired AF CE

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not believe there are any of those slides available the 40 cal and 10mm was short lived, we made a few 40 cal Defenders last year, but had some feeding problems due to bad magazines. If your really intent on a new slide your only option may be Brownells. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Mark
Originally posted by Paten:
Mark,

Welcome to the forum! You said in the Colt Barrel thread that Brownells was back ordered on barrels. How about on slides? I'm looking for a slide with a .40 cal breach face. I'd like to get a slide like the one that came on the Delta 10mm, not the Delta Elite. Brownells only lists the Delta Elite slide assemblies. Does Colt have any available?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, the story is that the 1911A1 is not replacing the 1991A1. The 1911A1 is actually the re-issue of the WWII service pistol that came out of Hartford in the early 40's. It has a wide spur hammer with a half cocked notch, palm swell mainspring housing with lanyard loop, checkered safety lock, slide stop and mag release, low profile thin blade sight with the line stamped just in front of the rear sight. All of the original roll marks to include the government inspectors stamp and proof stamp. Plastic grips just like the composite grips on the original, with a parkerized finish. And O yes I almost forgot, no firing pin safety. The gun will not be a high run item, I would say approx. 200 per month, offerred through the Custom Shop only. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the gun will retail for in the $900 range.

Originally posted by RickB:
A real, honest-to-goodness Colt rep on the site? Woo hoo! Tell us about the new M1911A1. Is it a Custom Shop model, or will it replace the '91A1, or what? Sometimes I have a twinge af guilt over having modified my original '11A1, so a new one might make me feel better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for all your information Mark. Being a Colt collector it sure is going to be nice having a Colt rep on the sight. What do you think is the reason the Colt light rifle doesn't seem to be a very good seller? Thanks
westendg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome, Mark:
I am like many others and have several Colts. I don't collect, just shoot, and can't find a better gun than the 1911A1. I would like to know about the XS and 1070 availability in California this year (2001). I just bought a new slide assembly from Brownell's, and it is an example of A-1 manufacturing. Keep up the good work.
45Colt

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Mark655, When will the 1911A1 US issue .45 be availble? Also what about the US Property mark, will it be there also? I just got a '43 model in 98% condition just like the one I got rid of about 10 years ago. I love those issue .45s. I'm really wanting one bad and just would like to know when I can get my grubby paws on one.

Thanks, and its great having you on here. Someone that might pass on some ideas for us from here.

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark655:
Ok, the story is that the 1911A1 is not replacing the 1991A1. The 1911A1 is actually the re-issue of the WWII service pistol that came out of Hartford in the early 40's. It has a wide spur hammer with a half cocked notch, palm swell mainspring housing with lanyard loop, checkered safety lock, slide stop and mag release, low profile thin blade sight with the line stamped just in front of the rear sight. All of the original roll marks to include the government inspectors stamp and proof stamp. Plastic grips just like the composite grips on the original, with a parkerized finish. And O yes I almost forgot, no firing pin safety. The gun will not be a high run item, I would say approx. 200 per month, offerred through the Custom Shop only. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the gun will retail for in the $900 range.

Mark,

Are you saying that Colt is no longer gong to make series 80 pistols and that the 1911A1 as you have just described will be the only 1911A1 and Variant?

Geeze! I hope that's not what you are saying!!

PigPen

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, the series 80 pistols are not being replaced the 1911a1 is a product line extension and has no effect on current series 80 guns.
Mark
Originally posted by PigPen:
Mark,

Are you saying that Colt is no longer gong to make series 80 pistols and that the 1911A1 as you have just described will be the only 1911A1 and Variant?

Geeze! I hope that's not what you are saying!!

PigPen

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, can't help you with that one, I not a rifle guy and don't really know the answer to your question
Mark
Originally posted by westendg:
Thanks for all your information Mark. Being a Colt collector it sure is going to be nice having a Colt rep on the sight. What do you think is the reason the Colt light rifle doesn't seem to be a very good seller? Thanks
westendg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The gun does not say US property, it does say US army, the gun should be available within the next few months.
Mark
Originally posted by M1991A1:
Mark655, When will the 1911A1 US issue .45 be availble? Also what about the US Property mark, will it be there also? I just got a '43 model in 98% condition just like the one I got rid of about 10 years ago. I love those issue .45s. I'm really wanting one bad and just would like to know when I can get my grubby paws on one.

Thanks, and its great having you on here. Someone that might pass on some ideas for us from here.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have submitted 9 models for testing in California and are waiting for lab results now. The 1070XSE is a standard production gun is is being made monthly, look for cahnges in the coming months on this product line getting back closer to the original XS model.
Mark
Originally posted by 45Colt:
Welcome, Mark:
I am like many others and have several Colts. I don't collect, just shoot, and can't find a better gun than the 1911A1. I would like to know about the XS and 1070 availability in California this year (2001). I just bought a new slide assembly from Brownell's, and it is an example of A-1 manufacturing. Keep up the good work.
45Colt

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Mark655, What about the Detective Special? Is it coming back also? And will it be in .357 like the Magnum Carry or the original .38 only? What about the Pocket 9?

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mark, glad your here to answer questions
Is the the 1991A1 made on the older equipment ?
I have an XS officers that I dearly love and an XSE Guvm't that has been "modified" to be just like the XS

I had a 1991A1 officers that was terrible, the series 80 parts would not release the firing pin even after changing out some parts for taller reach of the lever.

I really think if Colt can get parts that match the XS series they will have a winner

I did post a photo of the XSE on the board a while ago, now it's out being refinished. Once my arsenal is done I'll post a group photo of the 2 colts and a few others.

------------------
Style, Fit & Function you get it all with an M/D Holster
www.customholsters.com
[email protected]

Remember,, Cow aint just aint for food!!
100% satisfaction or I buy it back!

"Holsters" the only real cure for mad cow disease!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.