1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am wanting a 1991A1 Colt Govt. model or Commander. Can you tell me if they use MIM parts?

If I get the Govt. model I will want to install a Wilson Beavertail that doesn't require frame cutting. That will require a commander hammer. Were do you get a series 80 style commander hammer (other than maybe from colt)?

If you were going to use a 1991A1 for defense, would you change anything such as maybe adding a Wilson extractor or similar premium parts? A premium extractor, extended safety, and lightweight 3 hole trigger are the changes I think I would want.

Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
My '91 will be my carry gun without modification, assuming it will feed defense ammo 100% (haven't run anything but hardball through it yet). I don't like beavertails, extended safeties, or holy triggers so there'll be no need to change them. As for the extractor, if it feeds reliably with the Colt part why change it? It may be that the Wilson has a slightly longer life, but probably not enough to make a difference.

If you get hammer bite then I guess you'll need the beavertail. I'm sure others here will know where to get a commander hammer. On the other hand, you'll probably see both the full-size and commander models in the stores that already have the commander hammer. In fact, I had to look hard to find a '91 with the spur hammer and original grip safety!

I honestly can't say whether it has MIM parts. I don't know what they'd look like in comparison to something else. But trust me on this one - you'll enjoy your Colt!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Are you buying a stainless 1991? If you are, they are fairly tricked out already, at least the Commander is. Check it out on galleryofguns.com and compare the blue one to the stainless.

Dont worry about the MIM thing. Just shoot it and make sure it works for you.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
The 1991A1 Commander is one of my favourites. If your model doesn't have the commander style hammer already, check www.brownells.com .

I also installed a Wilson beavertail with no problems. I also put in one of their bulletproof extractors, and once properly adjusted - you can forget about it.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Oh yeah....we'll move this one to the "Colt" forum....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.