1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the site and just getting interested in the 1911 style handgun. I own two SIG's and one glock and plan on some 1911's soon to complete my carry guns. Ok that being said I have a question about building a custom 1911. The gun that I would like to copy is the 1911 that was carried by Don Johnson in Nash Bridges. I just loved the gun that he carried and would like to build my own version. Here is a list of the specs on the gun and a pic. I would like to know where the best place to find all the parts that I need if someone could help out there.

Make: Colt Model: 1911
Caliber: 38 super Capacity: 10 + 1

Barrel: 4" Compensated Bar 510

Custom Modifications:
bo-mar sights--low profile
rounded, flattened and serrated slide ported
ramped and throated beavertail grip safety with memory grove
ambidextrous extended speed safety
extended slide stop
extended--lightened trigger guard
spring guide, 2 vertical port compensator
extended and checked--spring housing
skelontonized hammer
beveled and enlarged mag chute
checkered front strap
frame and visible parts are hardstormed

That being said I also plan on buying a springfield ultra-compact in .45 for my daily carry CCW gun. So if anyone could offer thoughts on this gun as well would be appreciated. Like I said I am new to the 1911's and just starting to learn about them so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Questons

If your going to buy a Springfield, Talk to them about building your race gun. I know he is above refering to, but if the custom shop can build Rob Leatham's guns, I imagine that they can do something for you. They're slow but good. Tracy

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
You're joking right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ricky T said:
You're joking right?
You talking about the gun or the previous post? As far as springfield building me a gun that is not going to happen. I just want one of their guns to carry and that is it. As far as the first gun I am talking about I do want to build that and would like to know where is the best place to get the parts. I am new to the 1911's but a friend of mine is not. He is a gunsmith and class III dealer so he would be in on putting the gun together. When it comes to custom gunsmithing I would prefer someone more local than springfield so I can deal with them face to face if something goes wrong. Like I said I am new to the 1911's but not new to all handguns. The main part that I need help finding is the compensator that is shown in the pic. I have yet to come across a compensator like that and it is the one piece I am having trouble building. So if anyone could point me in the direction of that compensator or who makes it that is the one thing that I am really after and would really appreciate. Thanks!

·
Registered
674 Posts
RCS, most of the information from the Nash Bridge website has errors in it. It was written by a fan of the show that knows little or nothing about guns. Since you say you have found most of the parts, I am assuming your gunsmith friend has pointed out the errors and guided you in the right direction.

The compensator used on the Nash Bridges gun was probably custom made.

The gun is basically a USPSA open class gun without the red dot sight. The gun was built by Mac's 45 Shop in California.

Buildiing this gun is not going to be cheap, and comp'ed guns make bad carry guns for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
"Frame and visible parts are hardstormed"?!?!

That's a new one on me B-)

My recommendation would be to have the gun built and timed with 9x23mm Winchester in mind; you can still use .38 Super and you'll have a stronger gun capable of taking a better round for it.

I have no idea why you're having trouble with that compensator. Just find or have built a two port compensator that matches the slide profile and then cut and contour the Baby Eagle-ish angle below the muzzle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This is basically what I am after but with a compensator like the other pic. The compensator that is on the above gun is the only style that I can find and I don't really like the look of it. As far as the information on the site I realized that it was incorrect with the hard storming part. Looks like the frame could be hard chromed but I am not sure where they got the storming part? In building this gun I am after more of a gun to have that is a show piece and looks good. For functionality I have my other guns and I am sure that everyone will agree that the sig and the glock are not the most attractive guns but they get the job done and that is all I am after when carrying a gun. I also want a compact 1911 to carry as well. I had the opportunity to shoot a mil-spec compact 1911 that my buddy has at his gun shop he took on trade. Would it be better to get the mil-spec or opt for the higher priced compact?

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Two guys that I know could do that..

George Smith and Chuck Rogers..Chuck has a gallery of carry comp photos..

George built one for me on an STI/SV frame..it carries very well and 17 rounds of 9x23 is very cool..

you can debate the use of carry comps all day and night..but if you want one..you need to modify your training and train with it..

done right..they are expensive...but too me..they hold high cool factor points..others don;t think so..but thats ok..here is a photo of the one I got...I am thinking of having a single stack one built too..

oh..just thought of a few others that could do a great job..
Leibenberg used to build one that was beautiful..Claudio Salassa at Briley, and Richard Heinie used to build full profiles..his was made famous by an appearance in Miami Vice.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hard stormed is one of the errors I am talking about. The gun is hard "chromed"

Another example is 4" Bar 510 barrel.

It is a 4" Bar "Sto" barrel. There is a reason for 4" vs. 5" which I will get to in a moment.

The compensator in the picture is what is called a "half profile" comp. You see them more because they are easier to make and install. You basically buy an extended barrel and screw the comp onto the end of it. The one in the picture ends up being a long slide with the added comp length on the end of the 5" barrel, it becomes a 6" plus barrel.

This brings me back to the Bar Sto statement above. The Bridges gun was build as a carry comp gun. A 4" barrel is used and the slide and frame are cut off about an inch. Then the full profile comp is fitted to the end of the barrel and the face of the slide so that it ends up being about the size of a standard government model.

One of the members here had a similar gun built by EGW. I think theirs was chamber in 9X23 though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
eerw said:
here it mine..

overall 5", dual port full-profile comp..bomars, lots of extras,

with carry mags..holds 17 and 1..
That's the one I was thinking of. Just couldn't remember whose it was.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think that a Brolin arms gun was used in some of the episodes. They look just like the one in the picture. Out of bizz now though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts