1911Forum banner

Questions about defender and officers??

1279 12
I have just started looking at colts and am interested in purchasing a small carry gun. I really like the Colt series 80 officers ultimate SS but I cant find anyone who has them. Are they discontinued or are they just starting to be made?? I have also looked at a defender and also a Kimber stainless ultra carry. My local gun shop tried to talk me into the kimber but i was wondering if you guys could give me some info on which of these I should buy. Thanks for your help
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
620 Posts
Either

I have a blued all-steel Officer's and a Kimber Ultra CDP II, both have proven reliable over 500+ rounds. Kimber shoots to POA, and holds a tighter pattern but, the Officer is nicer handling. Can't comment on Defender.

One common change over on the Officer is the barrel bushing, going with a beefier aftermarket version, but mine is stock.

Also, with these micro .45s, figure frequent recoil spring changes, especially for those with an alloy frame.

Good Luck,
ss-gar

· Registered
215 Posts
Compact Colts.

I have both a Defender and a compact Colt 1991A1 (Officers). Both give me about 2 1/2" at 25 yards. I put a match barrel bushing in the 1991 A1 Colt compact 3 1/2" barrel. I was told that you should change the recoil spring every 300 rounds. I put a 24 lb. spring in the 1991 A1 the factory spring is 22 lb. I am having trouble finding replacement recoil springs for the Colt defender. The defender is lite to carry and would trust it out to about 25 feet for self defense.

· Registered
94 Posts
In the early 90's I bought a beautiful Colt Officers in stainless, it had alot of work done to it. I had nothing but problems with it, they discontinued it and I hadn't another thought about one until one night when I had nothing to do I found the Defender, then a FFL friend of mine had a used one for sale at the right price. Obviously I bought it (what was I to do), I have had no problems with mine but changed a few things for personal preferance. A Ed Brown "Wedge" back strap, different grips by VZ and Wilson mags and sent it to Arizona Response Systems for a "melt down". I really like the gun now even more.

The Officer models were notorius for breaking/cracking the barrel bushings.

· Registered
1,729 Posts
scottauld said:
I must be nuts, my eyes keep getting drawn to these:

Colt 1903 auto
I like those too, but once you own one you realize their limitations. I have had like 4 I think and have shot a bunch more. Great for it's time, but can't beat the new micro-autos. They look real cool though.:)

· Registered
2,264 Posts
One reason I like a Defender better than an Officer's ACP is the relief cut on the top of the Defender grip frame, where it meets the trigger guard. Allows me to get all three fingers on the gun without overhang at the bottom.

One could argue that the bushingless/plugless front end of the Defender is more durable than the setup used on the OACP, but that of course is easily remedied if you so choose.

· Registered
866 Posts
Then OACP is a great gun. I would not want to go any smaller. I have an enhanced model OACP and I pocket carry that little baby all the time. I use wilson 7 round mags. The OACP is probably one of the best little carry guns out there. If you get one change the recoil plug to a clarks drop in (20 bucks) and go to a wolf single recoil spring(7 bucks). Problems with original design gone. If you want to go over kill get a clarks bushing and fit it. The gun is very accurate. I feel well armed with that little baby in my pocket.

· Registered
740 Posts
Once you see the $1200-$1400 asking for Ultimate finish Officers on GA you may consider an all stainless Kimber Ultra (I've got some of each...)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.