1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After continual problems with what I call fail to eject (don't know what else to call it), many of you have suggested that I replace the extractor on my CD ECS (Officer Size). So, I'm most likely going to do it, but I'll have to have someone else do it, since I'm not so mechanically inclined. This leads me to a couple of questions: First, what about the Wilson Bulletproof extractor? Is that a good choice? After looking at their website, I'm not sure which one to order. Second, will replacing the extractor, if done by a qualified gunsmith, still void the warranty on the pistol? I just bought it new, in April. Or, should I call CD/KBI and see if I can send it back first to see if they can do anything with it? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Replacing an extractor is not that difficult. Tuning one properly is another story. Are you comfortable detail stripping your gun?

If you are hesitant, I would contact CD. If you aren't, than the Wilson Bulletproof (for .45 caliber) extractor goes in all my guns before I even fire them.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Maybe I'm just lucky
, because the Wilson's I've installed on mine Just dropped-in(it does come with instructions though). There was a little hesitation going in, but once I got it in, I went to the range and fire 200 rounds w/o a hitch! And it is still reliable, I now have 6K on my CD! I'de say give it a try, its really not that hard. If it doesn't work out, then send it to a gunsmith. You can also try(before buying a new one) adjusting the tension on the extractor. Take it partially off, about where the bump is, then bend it inward(to the left). This will give it a more arching figure, hence increasing the tension on the case. Do it a little at a time. Over doing this can result on FTF make sure you don't get to that point. Its best to do it at the range, firing a string of fire after each adjustment until its corrected. Another thing to check is the chamber, if there is some burr/machining marks, it might be binding the case inside. Also Wolf ammo are notorious(SP?) with FTE due to its laquer coating. 'Hope this helps and Safe shooting!

·
Registered
288 Posts
10EC,

Careful when bending the stock CD extractor since it doesn't seem to be very "springy" if you know what I mean. Other users have mentioned that they're somewhat brittle. I tried tuning mine last night to correct a last round FTF which just recently cropped up. I also tuned the ejector since my spent cases hit me smack in the forhead sometimes.

Labuyo,

Did you have to remove material from the rear end of the extractor. I mean was it sticking out or did it drop in perfectly.

The reason I'm asking is I tried tuning my extractor (removed the bump like you said and bent it towards the firng pin) and ejector (added a downward angle) last night and haven't had the chance to test fire it yet. In case I messed it up, I may need to get a new one and if the Wilson drops in perfectly it may be a better alternative to the Ed Brown I was planning to buy. Some people here mentioned that about 1/16-1/8 of an inch sticks out of the slide with the Ed Brown. It'll save me some filing time.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Malmon,
Yes, it does stick out a bit, but it doesn't bother me. I did not modify anything to it I've installed it as is. I think the quality and dimensions of Wilson and Ed Brown is just the same so just get whatever one is cheaper. Safe shooting!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The Wilson should also be very good, but all I've used is the extractors from Ed Brown. Never had to adjust one(yet).

The problem is the CD slide, not the extractor. Any good extractor will have to be filed down to fit.

CD extractors are cast, and the extractor is not the place to be using cheaply cast parts. The cast ejector seems OK though.

The extractor is a simple parts replacement that will not affect the warranty. Just keep the crappy one to install in case the gun ever has to be sent back if it worries you at all.

While I do call any cast extractor crappy, I ran around 4000 rounds through my EFS with the cast extractor just to test it. It might still be working, but I couldn't stand having it in the pistol anymore.

[This message has been edited by Walking Point (edited 10-30-2001).]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Labuyo/WP,

Thanks for the advice. I went to the range today and experienced my first FTEs. I think I may have taken off too much material behind the hook. Rebending the extractor away from the FP seemed to help lessen it. 'Wasn't able to test it with factory FMJs, only the range reloads which are generally crappy. However, I feel I'd rather replace the extractor anyway. At least the ejector mod seemed to work properly (no more cases hitting my forhead)

[This message has been edited by malmon (edited 10-31-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts