1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been covered all ready.

Can someone list the differences between the Mil-Spec and the Mil-spec WWII? Is it more than just the sights?

Thanks much

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
*Knock knock* I'll get it :D

The standard Milspec has
  • lowered ejection port
  • High profile 3 dot sights
  • stainless barrel and bushing
  • loaded chamber indicator

The WWII has
  • small ejection port
  • low profile black sights
  • park'ed barrel and bushing(may just be matte blued, I'm not sure)
  • lanyard loop on mainspring housing
  • Brown plastic grips

They both have the ILS and the Titanium firing pin.

At first the WWII had loaded chamber indicator and the blocky frame, as well as black plastic grips, but now the features should be as I've listed. I hope :) .

JeffC

·
Registered
153 Posts
JeffC:

Actually, my standard Mil-Spec has a parked barrel and bushing. Not saying you are wrong but, just saying how my pistol was when I bought it NIB. :)

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
My Milspec has a blued barrel with either a chrome or polished barrel hood and the bushing isnt stainless either.

·
Banned
597 Posts
From the Springfield website, the standard milspec also appears to have an undercut trigger-guard, while the wwii has the old rounded profile.

Standard Mil Spec

WWII

·
Registered
556 Posts
Note that in the pictures the dust cover on the WWII appears to be rounded like a Colt. I wonder, is this the standard frame for all models, or just the WWII? And the front, lower slide is cut differently.

·
Banned
597 Posts
There was an earlier thread about the front lower portion of the slide. It would appear that no WWIIs shipped with that slide profile.

I believe that the standard milpecs are also now coming with a rounded (a la "colt") dustcover.

However, I don't own either, I'm simply going by what I've seen in shops & posted here.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Original Mil-Spec
PB9108L
Around $500
Lowered and flared ejection port
Slanted slide serations
Stainless barrel with chamber indicator
Three dot sights
Stainless bushing
Rounded front strap
Less machining marks under slide
Has crossed cannons logo on slide
No lanyard loop
Serated slide stop and mag release
Civilian teardrop safety
Short serated trigger
Sear and hammer pins are flat on right side
Black checkered plastic grips
Comes in parkerized, stainless and various sizes
Plastic box

This is a great gun if you are looking for a basic 1911A1 to customize later. After a King's bushing was installed, mine became a tack driver. (It was pretty good before.)

WWII Mil-Spec
PW9108L
Around $400
GI style high ejection port
Straight slide serations
Parkerized barrel with chamber indicator
Military sights
Parkerizeed bushing
Blockier front strap
More machining marks under slide
No ".45 Cal" or crossed cannon logo on slide
Lanyard loop
Serated slide stop and mag release
Sear and hammer pins are domed on right side
Civilian teardrop safety
Short serated trigger
Black checkered plastic grips (not brown)
Parkerized finish only
Cardboard box

This is a great buy if you want a military style 1911 that is a shooter and can be beat around. It won't fool a WWII buff, but if you swap in a checkered slide stop, checkered mag release, a GI thumb safety, put on brown plastic or walnut grips and get rid of the ILS mainspring housing it is pretty darned authentic. I've done all this and added a wide spur hammer and GI stamped trigger as well. This one looks even better with finish wear. It is as accurate as the regular Mil-Spec if you can shoot with military sights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts