1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a pre-Gold Cup Natinal Match. I don't have the serial number, but it's one of the ones produced from '57 to the early 70's. The gun is all original and has barely been shot at all, but was stored for over 20 years in poor conditions. There are some small rust spots on the front of the slide and when I stripped the gun it had some small surface rust on the interior, but nothing major. How much is this gun worth? I noticed the slide was much lighter than I'm used to and I'd heard in the past that these guns were meant for wadcutter ammo. What can you guys tell me about these?

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Pre MKIV National Match

Kev_byf said:
I'm looking at buying a pre-Gold Cup Natinal Match. I don't have the serial number, but it's one of the ones produced from '57 to the early 70's. What can you guys tell me about these?
Well, the 1930's National Match guns could be relatively valuable with the adjustable sight option. The late 50's to early 70's should maybe be broken down a little, I think. I would steer clear of certain runs in the late 60's - early 70's for quality reasons. The mid seventies were MKIV territory. The early MKIV's weren't bad. I understand actual payed prices for National Match Guns built in the '50s range upwards of 750.00 in good condition. Excellent condition guns seem to provide emotional response and folks can't seem to hold on to their wallets well when this happens, so they will cost you. Early MKIV guns with non - adjustable sites go for about the same. Expect to pay a premium for these guns even when rust marked if you want to own them. The good news is that many dealers understand these values and you can find National Match guns provided by professional dealers offered for anywhere from 700.00 to around 2500.00 for very nice copies.

Don't laugh too hard. I personally counted my money to see if I had enough to purchase a "perfect" 1930's era Colts National Match for $1700.00. Actually on paper the gun may have been worth $12 to 1300.00. The fact of the matter was, I didn't give a good dog - gone. He wanted $1700.00 to part with it, and I was perfectly willing to give it to him. End of story. Like my best horses, the guns don't know or care what you paid for 'em. Also like the horses, I don't own 'em anyway. I'm only caring for 'em 'till one of us expires.

·
Registered
191 Posts
They do have lightened slides and were designed for target ammo. If you want to shoot ball ammo you'll need to change up to a 20lb recoil spring and replace the mainspring to 23lbs. That's what I did with mine.

In good shape they run from $800(poor) to $1700(lnib) depending on condition.

I have one built in 1960 that I stole (imho) for $850 in 95+ condition. It's on its way to Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision for some Custom carry work. :cool:

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts