1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 1991A1 today. Overall, I like it, but I do have two question/comments.

1. Is it just me or are these 1991A1s hard to disassemble? Maybe it is just me being spoiled from my Sig 229 and Beretta 92FS, but damn, it took me quite a while to figure out all the steps to take down my 1991A1 and put it back together.

2. I put some Hoppes lubricant on the slide rails and my gun is still like sandpaper when I pull the slide back and release it. Very very rough. Is this normal? As a comparison, my new 92FS is much smoother, with my Sig229 (200 rounds through it so far) being smooth as glass....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not to worry on the disassembly. I have a 1991A1 also, and the first time it took me an hour while I struggled to figure it all out. I also had a devil of a time re-installing the slide stop.

Today I cleaned it up to get ready to go shoot, and it went together much, much easier (really easy, in fact), and much more smoothly, too. So if yours is like mine, it will be real easy with practice.

I use Break-Free Greased Lightning on the rails and mine works real good. But then, this is the only pistol I have so maybe others are easier, I dunno.

HTH

------------------
I wonder why we waste our lives here,
when we could run away to paradise.

But I am caught in some invisible vice
and I can't get away.

To live and die in L.A.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The new ones do seem to be fitted much tighter overall, which is great. After it loosens up a bit and smooths out it should be just right.

·
Registered
136 Posts
1) everytime you'll disassembly it will get easier. The new guns on the market, SIG, Beretta, etc is really easy. But after awhile the 1991A1 will be just as easy.

2) You got a rough one. After a few 100 rounds or so it'll be smooth.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Dont worry about it, this too will pass. The general consensus these days is that you need to run around 500 rounds thru it to "shoot it in". Some may take more, some a little less. This will let you determine reliabilty and function of your new gun and will smooth things out in the process.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Mine was manned 1997 or so. I had it customized(barrel bushing, group gripper, commander hammer, trigger job, night sights,beavertail safety) what a beauty it is. If you were Arnold Schwartsenager you coul'nt dissasemble by hand. Very tight and anyone know good source for bushing wrench. Sold the Gold Cup which had the wrench with it.(note to self) Many more to come, so this might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious, but why does my new Colt need to be "smoothed out" by firing aproximately 500 rounds? My Beretta and Sig are both very smooth with the Beretta 92FS brand spanking new, and the I have only shot about 200 or so rounds through my Sig 229. I know these three are all different brands of guns, but I am curious about the difference in smoothness. Is it a difference in materials used to build these guns or what?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Lightsped, it is the generally accepted practice by every experienced gun carrier I know, particularly police and military, to "break in and test" all new weapons and magazines (regardless of brand name) before using them for serious purposes (i.e. carry) the first time. 500 rounds is an accepted number, but is certainly not gospel. I would recommend a minimum of 200 rounds of Ball, and 100 rounds of whatever your carry ammo will be. Personally, I always clean, inspect and lubricate a new firearm BEFORE I fire it the first time, as a matter of policy.

The tighter the gun is fitted up by the factory, the "rougher" it may initially seem, particularly if it is made of stainless steel. This is not necessarily a sign of defect, particularly in an entry level "production" gun (which do not recieve the hand work of a custom or semi-custom model), and usually has no effect on reliability with standard ammo. The current Colt 1991s (we have recieved four recently) that I have handled were noticeably closer tolerances than older production, but I certainly would not characterize them as "rough".

As for the SIG and Beretta, it could be differences in materials, final surface finish or how tightly or loosely fitted each gun was by it's respective producer. Generally, the looser the fit, the "smoother" it feels, unless the gun is the product of a Custom Shop. Then you can have tight and smooth from the get go - for a few dollars more, as they say.

Enjoy your new Colt - with a little practice you will find it much easier to shoot faster and more accurately than either of the other two! Warmly, Col. Colt

[This message has been edited by Col. Colt (edited 02-10-2001).]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I am very anxious to try the Colt out as I have never shot a 45 before.
BTW, the Sig 229 and Beretta 92FS I own are very tight. No slide shake or rattles of any kind when shaken.
As long as the roughness in the slide or slide rails is normal I am ok. It doesn't really bother me. I was just curious, and I just wanted to be sure my 1991A1 was ok.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In my opinion the 1991A1 is the best gun we make, all I can say is practice on the dis assemble it will get easier. It is normal for the guns to require a break in period, no magic there, at the factory they are targeted and functioned with only 5 rounds. Go put 500 hundred rounds of hardball thru it and it will be fine, and give you many years of reliable service.

Mark

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
The 1911 is also reliant on many areas being able to work together. This is done to a greater extent with Les Baer, Ed Brown and other custom manufactures. I'm sure we could send in a Government, 1991, or other Colt and have it custom tuned for accuracy and/or reliability. But I feel they are superior out of the box to most standard guns, Kimber included.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts