1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SS compact. My first question is with the hammer down should the safety fuuly engage? My pistol's safety seems to move up just enough to catch part of the slide with the hammer down. To fully engage the pistol needs to be cocked.

My other question is that I have checkering on the back strap of the pistol. Did the checkering come from Kimber or did someone have it done? I have a series 1 pistol. I have attached a picture of the pistol that shows the edge of the checkering. I should probably take some more pics.

thanks plunker

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
plunker, you should not be able to engage the thumb safety with the hammer down. The safety not only blocks the slide, it blocks the sear when on and can't do this unless the gun is cocked.

Kimbers come with checkered (plastic) MSH's.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought mine was all metal. I'll have to go check it out.

Do the series 1 and series 11 both have the plastic mainspring housing?

Thanks
plunker

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
From the looks of that picture you have a Series I Aluminum SS Compact. I son't think there is a Series II in that model... The Series I mainspring though appears to be plastic to me.

H

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know they don't make this model anymore. I searched the Kimber page to see which model matches mine the closest. The only compact(shorter grip & 4" barrel) is the cdp compact.

I loved mine when I thought it was all metal, and I have not changed my mind now since it is part plastic.

plastic plunker

·
Registered
645 Posts
Plunker -

All of my Kimbers and two of my Colts do the same thing with the safety. With the hammer down you can lift the safety just enough to clear the slide and sit about 1/16" into the slide's safety notch. All of mine came from the factory that way and have not been modified.

I wouldn't worry about it.

MadDog :p

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I think more people are concerned about the MIM parts than the plastic MSH. The hammer looks like its plastic too, but not sure...

H

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have a steel-framed Series I Compact like yours. I don't lose any sleep over plastic parts or MIM parts. My gun is totally stock except for having rosewood grips. At four years of age and about 2,500 rounds through it, I have had no parts failures except for having to change springs of course.

I love the gun and it is my favorite of 5 handguns I own.

RJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts