1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting one of these for a while and I came across this one, it's a series 80 38 Super in stainless steel with Colt wood grips....it was new in the box and I got two stainless mags that came with it and one extra...and 2 boxes of Winchester 38 super ammo...tax and all came to $910.00.....I hope that was a decent price for all that.
I have a question though...what all is interchangeable between my 45 Colt 1911 and my 38 super Colt 1911....I know of course the barrel and mags are not but what about the other parts...extractor, firing pin, springs, msh...etc, etc....Thanks all....I would post pics but alas...I don't know how.

Thanks, Russell

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
Is it a new gun, or one that's been sitting around for years?
Colt, earlier this year, had five different 5" .38 Supers for sale. There were/are both stainless and blue M1991A1s, stainless and blue "enhanced" Government Models (essentialy just like the old, enhanced guns from the '92-'99 period, but with the new rollmarks), and the high-polish stainless Custom Shop model. If your gun is fairly recent manufacture, and it has a round-top slide, it's a '91A1. If it has a flat-top slide, it's the enhanced model; I don't know why they make two such similar guns.
I bought a stainless '91A1 in early '04, and am very happy with it. It has been very reliable, and with a bushing change, quite accurate enough. I think I paid $659 plus shipping and transfer; about $700.
In the slide, just about every Super part is different from the corresponding .45 part, except perhaps the firing pin spring and firing pin stop. The S80 plunger and spring should be the same. The barrel has a smaller outside diameter than a .45 barrel, so if you want to have a match bushing fitted, perhaps only King's makes one of the proper dimension (it's a very good part). In the frame, the interchangeable parts include the hammer, sear, disconnector, trigger, mag release, grip safety, mainspring housing and its contents, pins and springs. The frame itself is different, as is the ejector.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RickB...

thanks for your reply...I appreciate it.

Dang, figures...I paid too much it sounds like...and I called myself "checking around" for a good price. On my new super...I think it's going to be a 91A1 by your description....I know the dearler just got it in himself....the rollmark is in the middle area of the slide just like on my enhanced ss MKIV S80 made in 1995....not back by the hammer area....and the super does have a round top slide...unlike the flat type slide on my above enhanced S80.....

only problem I can see is availability of 38 super ammo...sofar all I have found is fmj ammo....no HP anywhere...and I even went to "Cheaper than Dirt" in Ft. Worth and all they had was fmj aswell....

but asfar as the gun itself...I like it and that's really all that matters...all else is mute ;-)

Thanks...,Russell

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
Colt had a big price increase, earlier this year, so my price may be as much as $100 less than what could be found today. Retail price on Colt mags is about $30, and Super ammo can cost $25 a box, so the two boxes of ammo and the mag are worth $80 at retail. With sales tax, etc., your price was not a killer deal, but not out of line for some parts of the country, I'm sure.
.38 Super ammo can be hard to find. I remember going to a WalMart, and having the counter jockey put a couple of boxes of .38 Special on the counter, when I asked for Super. 130 hardball is about all you're going to find, except at a very well-stocked store.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I saw an enhanced SS 38 super, "mint w/ box" for $699 the other day. Had black wraparound rubber grips. So you're right in there with your gun.

I have an older 1949 vintage 38super that shoots well. KY Imports had a good price on Armscorp 130fmj, but I think they have been out for a while. Corbon has some +p jhp stuff around, but may be a little bit older. The stuff bought looks at least 5 years old.

And BTW, do not buy any mags from an E-bayer names Reddog or whatever from Alaska! They are not what he says they are.

Enjo and good luck,
ss-gar

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Most major ammo manufactureres offer hp loads for the .38 Super. Winchester, Remington, Aguila, Cor-Bon, etc. Many local dealers may not stock them but they can be ordered and are often available at gun shows. Check a few web sites or ammo catalogs for what is available. I have no problem getting .38 Super ammo. Cor-Bon offers some of the best.
tipoc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you guys are the greatest!....thanks for all the imput and opinions, it's all been very helpful......(keep em' coming)

1shootist

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
When asked what an item is worth? A wise old sage replied what someone is willing to pay you for it. If you like the gun, it doesn't matter that someone else could find it cheaper in their portion of the country. Enjoy it because no matter what you buy, their will be someone else who bought the same gun NIB $300 cheaper two days later:mummy: :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts