1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I gone and done it. I bought a new TRP OP. I've been drooling over these for a few months now so I guess it was about time to add one to my armory. I want to know any advise on this gun from owners out there. Breaking-in the new gun to anything I should watch for early on. What mags work well? What leather works good? Any info will be appreciated.Thanks

:D :D :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
best leather holster I've found is the Safariland #560, it's a paddle style holster. Got mine off ebay for about $30 a couple of months ago. I paid $60 something bucks for a Blade Tech plastic holster, works well, I'm not knocking it, but I think I really like the Safariland better. If you order up a holster, don't make the mistake that I made, decide if you are going to use the holster with the M6 light attached to the gun or not...I wanted a holster that I could slip on (paddle) and have the light attached to the gun. I should have ordered the Blade Tech made to fit with the light. Now when I go out to investigate that 'bump' in the night, I have no place to hang the gun when the lights on it...

mikey

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Karleric:

Bought the TRP at Turners. They had 1 in stock. There was 2 others at a couple of their other stores. They had none in the warehouse and weren't expecting more till January or so.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Kramer's iwb #3 holster works great with this pistol for me. You might want to start carrying a paper clip in your wallet so you'll always be able to break it down when you like.
The most important advise of all - don't sell it, you'll regret it if you do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the info Mblaster. May I ask how much you paid for the TRP Operator?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Make sure you lube the gun correctly (Wilsons has a good video that shows you what and where to lube).

I paid $1275 for mine NIB but it has gone back to SA. No idea how this happened but the ejector is loose and the barrel link broke. Maybe watch those two points.

Put at least 300 rounds through her and see what type of malfunctions you get. You may get some so don't worry. I had a few but they went away. I used Wilson #47D's and it ran fine except for the occasional FTE. I used Magtech 230gr to break it in. It had FTE with RA45T & Gold Dots. Ran fine with PowRball and Hydras.

Holsters that are available at the shops are DeSantis (thumb break OWB & Inner Piece IWB). Blade Tech makes an IWB as well but it takes about 14 days to get. High Noon has both OWB and IWB but takes 15 days or so to get. My friend has a Sparks VM-2 for his and that would take 18 weeks or so (yeah a long time!) unless LA Sports has one in stock (I highly doubt it now).

I tried to carry the TRP Operator but it got a bit heavy on me so I went back to my CQB. Then it broke :mad: and just yesterday I got it back to the shop and they hofully will send it back sometime this weekend or next week. :(

Good luck and let us know! Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

BTW - the take down pin that is included DOES NOT fit so you'll have to cut a paper clip down to size. Also you need to use a jewelers screw driver to hold the plunger back when you put the slide stop back in...

·
Registered
93 Posts
$1430 for mine with shipping/handling/taxes/dock fees....

It was bought used...the first owner got it from SA because they bought back his (lemon) Ultra, they offered him any gun for about $250 more (approx) and he bought TRP Op. Held it in his hand and said no way. There's more history to it, but SA was trying to please him and they went way out of their way to make a satisfied customer out of him. He just ended up being happy with something else to shoot.

Great gun, I just put the money down for a PC9801L - Micro Compact, kinda like a mini TRP Op...

mikey

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ol1911:

Thanks for the tips, I can't believe the take down pin doesn't fit, and I read elsewhere that the ejector is not pinned in, so that is something to watch for too.

Karleric:

Pd 1299 for the pistol which seemed pretty fair here in Kalifornia.

Has anyone purchased the light and could they "enlighten" me as to what kind they got.
Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
go to ebay and look around, I found one there, it was about $65-$75 bucks less than retail. M6 I believe is the model number...

mikey

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the first CA legal TRP Operator, watched the DOJ sight every day for 6 months after SA informed me the
pistol was submitted. The day it posted mine was ordered next day air . Since then I have tuned 7 TRP Operators
for Active Duty Military and IPSC/USPSA shooters who want the best.. I feel the factory recoil spring is to stiff for most shooters using standard presser ammo. SA went way stiff to ensure that the gun would live if fed a steady diet of 185GR +P+ ( mil spec developed for mk23 ) or 185+P. I recommend something around a 15,16.5,17.5or18.5 LB Wolf Variable power recoil spring for most shooters depending on your load and grip ( I did set up one for a 12year old girl with a 11LB variable to shoot 200GR minor loads in USPSA matches). If you keep the factory recoil spring expect a long brake in period ( 1000+). I recommend the Wilson Ultama lube and Magazines. I use 2 Blade- tech holsters one for with the M3 or M6 attached and a belt slide originally for a USP.45 lightly modified, a very minimal rig. None of the TRP Operators I have experience with have had any problems and would expect them to be rare given what it is and how it’s assembled. Enjoy your pistol IMO you have the best Tactical /
Fighting pistol available at any price.
out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
93 Posts
2011BLDR - when you've taken the TRP Op apart, did you notice if the seperate parts are numbered with a dremel...all of the pieces on mine have #013 etched on them...as if they were matched at some point...

mikey

·
Registered
841 Posts
Mblaster said:
Ol1911:

Thanks for the tips, I can't believe the take down pin doesn't fit, and I read elsewhere that the ejector is not pinned in, so that is something to watch for too.

No idea why the little take down pin doesn't fit. Strange... Does yours fit? Maybe I just got a dud.

As for the ejector, I have no clue. Maybe it was a fluke. When I field stripped it I could move the ejector back and forth with ease. Also while firing it chipped a lot of the metal off the ejector because it was loose. That's probably why I had so many FTE's. The extractor tension was not tight enough my smith said and he was able to adjust it for me. We did the test of putting a dummy round in there and turning the slide in a complete 360 showed that the extractor needed adjustment.

I probably got an older model where the bugs may or may not have been worked out. I just have bad luck :(

what are the first 3 digits of the serial#? Mine were 196.

[edit] does anyone know how long it takes SA to look at the gun for warranty service? I know my shop is slow with sending stuff out so... it probably won't go out till the 18th or 20th [i hope]. If not its gonna have to wait till after thanksgiving :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
That take down pin is for the integral locking unit, not for the guide rod. When detail stripping you put the pin in the hole at the top of the msh. Springfield does not furnish a pin for capturing the recoil spring becuase a paper clip works so well.

Every one of mine had the ejector pinned, I think the one that was not was a fluke. Mine also have all the parts numericaly matched with a dremel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
All TRP’s are simi -customs major parts are numbered and hand fitted prior to coating. That is why the product codes are PC = Custom shop and the serial prefixes are NM= National Match(over size rail specs for hand fitting). The TRP Operators are done in batches of 50 at a time. I have been told by a reliable source at SA “The TRP Operator was priced wrong at its introduction and it was supposed to be closer in price to the Pro Mod than the TRP, it meets or exceeds the Pro Mod accuracy standards” I bet 013 is the last 3 of your serial # on the pistol, right?
Out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
225 Posts
Boy I was really prepared to be impressed. You definately made me look at my s#. My number does start with a NM but it doesn't have the same last three. The last three numbers of the S# are the same that are etched into the other parts by hand though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
cclemen
Sorry I was putting out general info on the TRP line that I should have addressed to michaels when I threw his last three in their. Using the last 3-4 of a serial to ensure the matched parts go back together is SOP at any place doing guns right.
out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yup - the 3 numbers etched everywhere are the last numbers of the serial number of the gun...another mystery solved...this will be good to know about for when I get my 2nd Trp Op and I won't get the parts confused..

mikey

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Blaster also keep in mind that springfield stopped updating the manual , so some of the TRP's will require you to use the paper clip break down, but some are double guide bars and will break down like a regualr full size. So if you can't find hte little hole no worries, just break it down regular hehehe

I had this problem when I bought mine :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
2011BLDR said:
All TRP’s are simi -customs major parts are numbered and hand fitted prior to coating. That is why the product codes are PC = Custom shop and the serial prefixes are NM= National Match(over size rail specs for hand fitting). The TRP Operators are done in batches of 50 at a time. I have been told by a reliable source at SA “The TRP Operator was priced wrong at its introduction and it was supposed to be closer in price to the Pro Mod than the TRP, it meets or exceeds the Pro Mod accuracy standards” I bet 013 is the last 3 of your serial # on the pistol, right?
Out.
2011BLDR
Mine is not 013 but it starts with NM196*** The insides have the last 3 numbers etched on the barrel and the slide as well.

My TRP Operator is being sent back sometime this week I hope for repair. The ejector is loose and the barrel link broke off for whatever reason. I also noticed on the frame the rails are "chipping" slightly. I wish I took a pic before I dropped it off at the shop. Both sides are chipping away. I'm guessing *maybe* the slide to frame fit isn't as tight as its supposed to be :confused: - I put a letter in the box explaining what needs to be checked out. I think I just got bad luck :hrm: with the TRP op. We shall see...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts